Calling all country music experts!!?

I'm 18 and i've just discovered my love for country music :)

I love the sound, but i only know a couple of songs and i'm looking for more good ones!

What are country classics that every country fan knows? Artists? And what about recent country music? (I'm not too in touch with that.,. at all)

Favourite songs so far :

Cruise by Florida Georgian Line and He stopped loving her today by George Jones

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

Hi, I like most country music. Modern alternative/underground country sounds more the older country. You can find more artists like below by searching for alternative, americana, outlaw country, rockabilly/psychobilly, folk, and stuff like that on sites like youtube, reverbnation, lastfm, and pandora radio. You may try hick-hop also. This is by no means a complete list, older artists followed by modern altenative/underground. Links below.

Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Horton, Woody Guthrie, Hank Williams Sr., Hank Williams Jr, Dick Curless, CW McCall, Dave Dudley, Red Sovine, Marty Robbins, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, Burl Ives, Doc Watson, The Carter Family, Emmylous Harris, Leadbelly, Neal Young, Ramblin' Jack Elliot, The Weavers, Joan Baez, Peter Paul Mary, John Prine, John Denver, Iris Dement, Bascom Lamar Lunsford, Arlo Guthrie, Gordon Lightfoot, Tanya Tucker, Loretta Lynn, Charlie Pride, Charlie Daniels Band, George Jones, Randy Travis, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Reba McEntire, Lefty Frizzell, Clint Black, Kris Kristofferson, Pam Tillis, Alabama, Rodney Crowell, George Strait

Now here is a list of modern alternative/underground country singers,

1. Joey Allcorn - Alabama Chain Gang, 50 Years Too Late, Six Feet Down, This Ain't Montgomery feat Hank III, Graveyard Bound feat Lonesome Wyatt, Son Of A Ramblin' Man, (Graveyard Bound is country/metal mix.)

2. Bob Wayne & The Outlaw Carnies - Road Bound, Mack, Till' The Wheels Fall Off, Ain't No Diesel Trucks In Heaven, Lyza, Driven By Demons, 2012, All My Friends

3. Tonya Watts - The Day Hank Jr. Came To Town, Lonesome Bend Road, Cumberland Angels, Jesus Cowboy, Thought You Should Know, Daddy's Redneck Flaws

4. Little Lisa Dixie - Stoned Again, I'll Go With You, Devil's Gate, Living To Survive, Bonnie And Clyde, Woke Up Broke, Stop Acting Like a Lady, Bury Me Deep, Dance With The Devil, Getting Over You.,

5. Dale Watson - Justice For All, Hollywood Hillbilly, A Real Country Song, From The Cradle To The Grave (This guy is similar to Johnny Cash)

6. Steve Earle - Copperhead Road, Guitar Town

7. Pistol Annies - Hell On Heels, Takin' Pills, Family Feud (Miranda Lambert's side band project.)

8. Curtis Lyn Cook - Watching America Idle, Outlaws (He is real country!)

9. Junior Brown - My Wife Thinks Your Dead, Highway Patrol

10. Matchbox - Rockabilly Rebel, Rockin' At The Ritz (Not country but rockabilly.)

11. Hank III - Louisiana Stripes, Rebel Within, 3 Shades Of Black, D. Ray White, Me And My Friends, Gutter Town, Getting' Drunk And Falling Down, Thrown Out Of The Bar (many more!)

12. The Hillbilly Moon Explosion feat Sparky - My Love For Evermore (rockabilly/psychobilly video on youtube!)

13. Rachel Brooke - Knoxville Girl, Bottle Tippin' Blues, Dead Dog, Wolves, The Barnyard (She just came out with a new album.)

14. Jackson Taylor & The Sinners - Country Song (Video is on youtube)

15. Big Smo - Kickin' It In Tennessee (Video is on youtube, hick-hop "country rap")

16. The Moonshine Bandits feat Colt Ford - For The Outlawz (hick-hop)

17. Zane Lewis - Welcome To The Southland, Bad *** Country Band, Becky Brown's Daddy (Videos on youtube.)

MORE: Old Crow Medicine Show, Jimbo Mathus, Gillian Welch, George Goss, Hellbound Glory, Lydia Loveless, Joe Buck Yourself, Ghoultown, The Secret Sisters, Shooter Jennings, Wayne Hancock, Scott H. Biram, J.B Beverly & The Wayward Drifters, No Speed Limit Band, Jamey Johnson, Sarah Jarosz, Roger Alan Wade, Dixie Bee Liners, Tanner Flowers (aka: Tanner Flowers on youtube), Adrienne Young & Little Sadie. There's also a modern day drifter/Woody Guthrie called Pokey Lafarge he's a mix of blues, country and folk music. Pokey has some great stuff if you look around on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UFJWPk00x8

Youtube thumbnail

(George Strait - Love Without End Amen) AKA: A Father's Love (I liked this song growing up, another one was George Jones "Corvette Song"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOKtbJfNLFk

Youtube thumbnail

(Pistol Annies - Hell On Heels) Miranda Lambert's side band project. Check out their other songs/videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNeqfXCMmA

Youtube thumbnail

(Curtis Lyn Cook - Outlaws official video) Check out his other songs like "Watching America Idle' and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_spsq2PM7U

Youtube thumbnail

(Little Lisa Dixie - I'll Go With You Explicit) True outlaw country song here! Check out her 2011 album, a new album is coming soon. To me she is the new queen of outlaw country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEubbpULr9Q

Youtube thumbnail

(The Moonshine Bandits feat Colt Ford - For The Outlawz Explicit) Colt Ford wrote Jason Aldean's song "Dirt Road Anthem", but sold it to Jason Aldean.

I hope you enjoy these artists! Good luck!

• Personally I think everyone should know "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash. Also it would take WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY to long to say all the modern songs so I will just say the really popular artists: Blake Shelton, Luke Bryan(I LOVE him), Jason Aldean, Taylor Swift, Florida Georgia Line( They have another song called Get Your Shine On) THere are lots more but these are the biggest.

• Evan
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

I'll just make a list of all the CD's I own, because I only buy the awesome stuff lol. And I'll list my favorite song by each

Alan Jackson - Greatest Hits - Drive

Brad Paisley - All of them - Mud on the tires

Billy Currington - Enjoy yourself - Pretty good at drinking beer

Big n' Rich - Coming to your city - Save a horse ride a cowboy

Blake Shelton - Red river blue - Honey bee

Chris Cagle - Anywhere but here - walmart parking lot

Colt Ford - Chicken and biscuits - Its a country thang

Chris Cummings - Who says you can't - Who says you can't

Carrie Underwood - Carnival Ride - Last Name

Chris Young - Neon - Lost

Dean Brody - All of them - The sleeping bag song

Dierks Bentley - All of them -5-1-5-0

Eric Church - All of them - I pledge allegiance to the hag.

Emmerson Drive - All of them - My kind of crazy

Easton Corbin - All of them - I'm a little more country than that

Florida Georgia Line - Heres to the good times - Cruise

Gord Bamford - Day Job - Day Job

George Strait - Greatest Hits - Give it all we got tonight

High Valley - High Valley - On the combine

Jake Owen - All of them - Barefoot blue jean night

Justin Moore - All of them - Small town USA

Jason Aldean - All of them - Shes Country

Kenny Chesney - All of them - I go back

Luke Bryan - All of them- Rain is a good thing

Lonestar - All of them - What about now

Paul Brandt - All of them - Alberta Bound

Shania Twain - Any man of mine

Tim McGraw - One of those nights

I got tired of listing them all so that's just a few lol.

• 7 years ago

big green tractor - Jason Aldean

Country Girl (Shake it For Me) - Luke Bryan

Dirt Road Anthem - Jason Aldean

Truck Yeah - Tim McGraw

Take A Little Ride - Jason Aldean

Feel Like a Rockstar - Tim McGraw

Highway Don't Care - Tim McGraw

My Kind Of Party - Luke Bryan

Live Like You Were Dying - Tim McGraw

Better Than I Used To Be - Tim McGraw

I Like It, I Love It - Tim McGraw

If You're reading this - Tim McGraw

Where the green grass grows - Tim McGraw

Source(s): IM A COUNTRY GIRL!! YEHAWWWWW city fold just don't understand...
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Not mentioned yet, one of my personal favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgdtknF13_k

Youtube thumbnail

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.