Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Do religious people actually believe illogical things?

When I was younger I was forced to go church like all christian kids (why else would I go right? Its not like I understood anything at the age of 6); but I always had a feeling that some of the stories were total BS. They were interesting though, and I believed a few since they were heart warming. But when it came to Jesus walking on water, turning water into wine, a pair of every animal on a boat....etc I had my doubts. And when I moved out of my parents house I just stopped entertaining it since I didn't have anyone to impress or fool anymore. I just entertained the bible for 14 years so my parents wouldn't bother me. I still resort to the bible since it has some good info about morality and forgiving but I am forced to skip through the illogical stuff

This is not a rant or an offensive question, I just simply want to know if you had doubt as a kid? And also if you still have those doubt or do you believe deep down in your soul that these illogical things happened? And if their is some doubt then why do your force yourself to believe?

Thanks

• Nous
    Best Answer

The only way primitive religion exists today is through the child abuse of forcing it into very, very young children but thanks to better education and growing intellects so many teens are able to discover the truth, throw off the indoctrination and step into the real world!

Acceptance of a supernatural claim tends to promote cooperative social relationships. This communication demonstrates a willingness to accept, without skepticism, the influence of the speaker in a way similar to a child's acceptance of the influence of a parent. By encouraging this kind of behavior where the most intense social relationships occur it facilitates the lack of skepticism and deters more open minded thinking.

They are christian, Muslim or the other religions depending where they were born simply because they were indoctrinated by their parents as very young children. They will go on to indoctrinate their own children and those will go on to indoctrinate their grandchildren!

Atheists have the intellect to see through the conditioning and escape into the real world!

Agnostics have the intellect to see through the conditioning but lack the courage to throw of the conditioning entirely.

Sadly Christians, muslims and others are still held firmly prisoner by the self perpetuating brainwashing!

Source(s): University of Missouri-Columbia. Arizona State University

Religion is a person's understanding of the world/universe and how it works. Science is a religion. Atheism is the understanding that the world/universe work without any god or gods, and is thus a religion, albeit a wrong one. So when you refer to religious people, who are you talking about? All adults? The only way to lack a religion is to be completely naive and without any understanding.

Your understanding is your religion.

So I guess the people you are asking about are the people who are confident in their understanding as opposed to those with such open minds than they are open to anything.

But this cannot be since what you are saying is that you have a closed mind to some of the religious stories since you doubt them. What you don't understand is that while some stories are accounts from history, some are parables which are meant to illustrate a point in order to further understanding. It's like when a scientist conducts a lab experiment with a setup not found in nature. When does a rat run through a maze to find cheese at the end in reality other than in a scientific experiment? But the setup tells the scientist something about the rat's brain. Is it a realistic scenario? NO. Does it convey real knowledge? YES.

Jesus spoke in parables. Was there really a rich man and a poor beggar named Lazarus? Probably not. But was there really a man named Lazarus who was brought back to life? Yes. The miracles Jesus performed were real. Are miracles logical? They're not supposed to be. If they followed the rules of the universe, then they wouldn't be miracles, would they? If what Jesus did could be called using scientific principles, then it could not be said that the miracles were evidence that he was sent from God. If God is not powerful enough to cause miracles to happen, then he is not a god.

So it is illogical to think that miracles should be logical.

What's more, given an infinite universe, it is impossible to prove the non-existence of anything. Therefore, between an Atheist with proof, and God, the Atheist is more likely to not exist. That's based on pure logic. The Atheist's belief is based on blind faith and is completely irrational.

The Christian's belief is based on the evidence of testimony. Witnesses observed the miracles and later testified about it. It would be irrational to dismiss all the testimony and other evidence of miracles just because they were miracles and by definition cannot be reproduced by just anyone.

We believe some things that are illogical from the viewpoint of limited human logic, because God, Who has infinite knowledge and infinite logic, has revealed them.

Jesus had the power to do those miracles because He is the creator God in human form.

Our finite minds might think it's impossible, but with God, it's not.

• religious? Christians and (believing ) Jews, YES.

Faith is evidence not seen (Hebrews)

The VERY basic difference is faith in God (not a god; oneself).

"God has put enough into the world to make faith in Him a most reasonable thing. But He has left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason or observation alone."

Source(s): Ravi Zacharias, Christian apologist
  • za

'I can believe six impossible things before breakfast.' (The White Queen, in Alice)