? asked in Social ScienceDream Interpretation · 7 years ago

What are the shadow figures in lucid dreams? I'd like to hear of peoples experiences?

I have been researching wake induced lucid dreaming, and I came across an interesting but very disturbing phenomenon - shadow figures/people. People who see these entities normally seem to see them whilst experiencing sleep paralysis, and they are apparently terrifying. I am very interested in these entities and would like to hear about possible explanations for them and about peoples experiences with them. Bear in mind with explanations I am not religious at all but very open minded. Could they be entities in another dimension, or just mind games? Thanks :)

Favorite Answer

While opposing factions argue whether classic Awareness during Sleep Paralysis is a medical mystery or a spiritual phenomenon, there is something else occurring that is more frightening than sleep paralysis!

There are men, women, and children from around the world that awaken to the presence of nonhuman beings and transient anomalies in their homes. These “ghostly” intruders are often referred to as Bedroom Invaders. The medical community immediately (and without investigation) diagnoses all such witnesses as sufferers of Awareness during Sleep Paralysis.

The definitive symptom of Awareness during Sleep Paralysis negates ASP as a blanket explanation for home invasions by nonhumans and anomalies. Awareness during Sleep Paralysis occurs when the brain is in the transition state between deep, dreaming sleep and waking up. Imagine awakening to discover that you cannot move a muscle or speak! With the exception of perhaps your eyes and your breathing, you find yourself virtually frozen in bed. For some ASP sufferers, even opening their eyelids is impossible! The ultimate, never changing, symptom of ASP is PARALYSIS.

Another commonly reported symptom of ASP is being "hag-ridden." Many people have a sense of chest pressure or breathlessness during sleep paralysis, which likely relates to the limited muscles that are active to help you breathe. During REM sleep, the diaphragm acts as a bellows to help you inflate your lungs and breathe, but few of the other accessory muscles of breathing are active. Some people experience this as if someone or something is standing or sitting on their chest.

Less than twenty-five per cent of the witnesses to genuine encounters with Bedroom Invaders report any kind of paralysis and none report the “hag-ridden” symptoms of chest pressure! Dream imagery overlap into the waking state does not disturb physical surroundings nor explain those encounters where intrusive entities affect our environment and interact with the peoples, flora, and fauna of our reality.

Most encounters with the unexplained and unknown happen to people with zero interest or working knowledge of the "mysteries" that they stumble upon. These things become believed in because they are seen and experienced. Spontaneous meetings between man and mystery are the fastest and best way to convert skeptics and debunkers.

Source(s): Investigative research and personal experience Author of "It's NOT Sleep Paralysis! (The Global Nightmare of Bedroom Invaders)" http://robertgoerman.tripod.com

One theory for a specific type of demonic creature that has been said to be seen in paralysis is the Incubus. I have had sleep paralysis many times and there was only one time that i was being molested by a demonic creature and could not wake up. Below is a scientific theory to some of these dreams involving Incubus.

"Victims may have been experiencing waking dreams or sleep paralysis. Nocturnal arousal or nocturnal emission could be explained away by creatures causing otherwise guilt-producing behavior.[9] Then again, victims of incubi could well have been the victims of real sexual assault. Rapists may have attributed the rapes of sleeping women to demons in order to escape punishment. A friend or relative is at the top of the list in such cases and would be kept secret by the intervention of 'spirits.' The victims and, in some cases, the magistrates,[12] may have found it easier to explain the attack as supernatural rather than confront the idea that the attack came from someone in a position of trust."

I have had other dreams where the shadows come out of the celing. I dont know if anyone knows why demon like shadows are associated with sleep paralysis, but a long time ago people thought of it as a way to communicate with demons.

I've had nightmares about these little things.! They're really scary. I think it's just a mental thing. & They're weird because in the dream.. They really don't look that terrifying. But when you're dreaming they're the scariest ******* alive. Then you wake up & you're like.. 'Haha, I was scared of that.??' Just a mental nightmare some people tend to have. I've drawn them before; & I don't usually have these nightmares unless I'm stressed.

Basically an experience i had last night, i had one of these shadow figures looming over my bed, legitly floating over me. What i find even more interesting is how my body wasnt paralyzed and as i woke up to see this figure, i already sat up and proceeded to punch it. Weird stuff... P.S. I can even describe it, it had the human body, all black, no lower half beneath the waist, and hooded robes.