Josie asked in HealthDental · 7 years ago

Peroxide and baking soda at home teeth whitening?

So I tried the hydrogen peroxide and baking soda mixture for a little at home teeth whitening. I mixed it up to the proper consistency and applied to my toothbrush and gently started rubbing the mixture across my teeth. After about 10 seconds it started to burn my gums wildly. So I rinsed my mouth and spit it out. Now my gums around the base of my teeth are a swollen, chalky white. What the hell just happened? Did I do something wrong or is it just a reaction my body had?

• Connor
    Favorite Answer

If you got a lot of burning, then you used too much hydrogen peroxide. You should dilute the hydrogen peroxide with water before mixing it in with the baking soda.

Hydrogen peroxide is toxic to cells and kills them. So that's why it hurts to apply it to the skin, especially wounds. Different people have different sensitivity levels to these kind of chemicals but you should always dilute the H2O2.

I think you used either way too strong of hydrogen peroxide (which there are different potencies, the most common I think is 2-3%) or you didn't dilute it enough.

-Connor

Source(s): Pre Med

You put peroxide. In your mouth.