Is it normal to worry constantly about a miscarriage? First pregnancy?

Im about 5 weeks and hear all these stories about miscarriages and how common they are. Is it common to be worried about miscarrying? I feel like a lot of other people don't have the same fear.

• Jamie
    Best Answer

Yes.... and no.

Most women who are pregnant worry about miscarriage at some point. Sometimes, depending on the woman and what she's been through, she may worry about it a /lot/.

It is /not/ normal to be worrying about it constantly. Especially not if it's keeping you from or making it more difficult for you to do other things.

The best way to deal with this in either case is to talk with your doctor about it. Make sure your doctor understands how often these worries come to you, and how they affect your day and your mood.

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) has done studies which show that only about 10% of all pregnancies will end in miscarriage. Most do not. After your first trimester (about 3 months) that chance drops dramatically. You need to keep telling yourself that your chances are good.

Finally - a bit of personal opinion - The best way to fight a fear is to understand it. /Talk to your doctor/ and research pregnancy - and miscarriage - to understand the subjects better.

Best of Luck~

Of course it's normal to worry, but it's not healthy to worry constantly. I've been pregnant 3 times and have worried each time that something might happen, even though I have no history of miscarriage, or even family history.

Although it's true that miscarriage is common, most happen before a woman even knows she is pregnant - it's estimated that as many as 85% of miscarriages happen in the two weeks following conception, which for most women is before they would know. After pregnancy is diagnosed, the risk is less, and it drops every week that your pregnancy continues successfully. By the 12th week only 1-2% of pregnancies will be lost to miscarriage.

I would definitely ask your doctor for reassurance. Even if you don't have your first appointment for a while, ask if you can come in early because you have concerns. My doctor did that for me during my first pregnancy, and I felt like it was a big relief.

Good luck, everything will be fine!

Source(s): 35wks with baby #3, and mom to two healthy daughters.