Musically dyslexic with a good ear?

Hey all. I've been teaching myself to play piano for about a year. I've played flute for seven years and bass guitar for four. Thus, I'm familiar with both clefs. As a pianist, I have exceptionally nimble fingers and a very good ear - but my ability to read a music and communicate what I see to... show more Hey all.

I've been teaching myself to play piano for about a year. I've played flute for seven years and bass guitar for four. Thus, I'm familiar with both clefs.

As a pianist, I have exceptionally nimble fingers and a very good ear - but my ability to read a music and communicate what I see to my fingers is absolute trash. I can play music in a 5-6 year difficulty level with absolute ease, but I can't read music at a year 2 difficulty level whatsoever.

I can struggle with a piece of music for a month, then learn it in a few hours off of Youtube. Again, my difficulty isn't with the song difficulty - it's that I can't read the notes and play them. Once I know what the notes are, I can play them. I can play along at ~160bpm easy, but I struggle to read music at 5bpm.

If this was fitness, you could say that I'm a weightlifter with huge arms, but my legs are so small I can't stand up. I've tried taking simpler music and slowly reading it, but I just can't find any in a happy medium. If it's too simple, I play the song by ear after I have the rhythm down, and I'm left with little to no benefit. Too difficult and I have to listen to the song to understand the music, then I wind up playing it by ear to fill in the gaps my eyes leave me with. This is a good skill, and I'm happy I have it.. but I want to play The Turkish March, and I'm down to earth enough to know that I can't just play that by listening to it. I need to learn to read music so my fingers can progress to that next level of skill and the ones beyond it - I just can't do it because my reading ability is setting me so far back.

Mad World - Gary Jules, Just Give Me A Reason - Pink, and 21 guns - Green Day are pieces of music that are pushing the limits of my ability to read sheets. With each song I learn a few specific chords in sheet music, and I can pick them out and play them naturally now. The only issue is that I'm almost through them, and though I've been looking, can't find anything similar to work with. My fingers can play Metallica, but my eyes can't read Hot Cross Buns.

So, what can I do about this?
I so desperately want to be musically literate.
-Sam