If my significant other is going to be a Medic, what should I expect?

First and foremost, you don't need to write as much as I did, I am just trying to put out everything that I know so you can more easily address my questions. I apologize "10pts" is all I can give you in return, but these answers truly mean a lot to my actual self, lol.

My significant other is in the process of going into the military, in order to receive an education and further her chances at becoming a doctor (not enough finances between us to make school a possibility).

I am not sure what to expect, and she has been jumping into it, so if some generous people could enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated. For reference, she is 20, and I'm 20. We've been together a a couple since middle school. Seriously, 8 years we've been dating. We've lived together since we were 17 (no kids at this time).

Some of my questions are, what is she getting herself into in terms of being away from home (years, where will she be) and what should I expect as a significant other in terms of being able to see her? Little did she know, I had bought her a ring and was going to propose in the next few months. She has definitely earned it in the years we've been together. I'm just afraid as we have never really been apart like this.

Her #1 reason for getting involved is not to serve our Country but to pursue her education, however I believe regardless she will still apply herself 100% to serve. and I fully support that as all the other options we have chased around have fallen through for her, I don't want her to be stuck in some job where she will not be utilized to her true capabilities forever.

Once she takes her ASVAB test (will scores effect her chance or placement?) she will be going for her physical in the next state away, and than coming home to see when she will be off to boot camp (which I realize could be a week or two months). But what isn't clear to me is where she will be during her education, and what that will be like (years, attendance) as a medic, as well as how many years she must serve to recoup the benefits of her education (also, do different branches require medics, and does it effect her education or how she is placed on active duty?) She hasn't completed a post-grad school (as a civilian it takes 4 years of post grad, and than you are allowed to do your 4 years of medical school, I have no idea how this would work in the military). Would she still need to attend two separate schooling's Or would they be side by side schooling of some sort so its only 4 years of college?

My next question, they said she would be able to attend any college she wants that she is accepted into, including a local college before she serves. I have never heard of that being the case, all of my friends that have gone into the military went to a "military" school prior, so I don't know how it would work if someone could clarify?

Once she does her "college", than how many years would she be required to serve on active duty? And is there anything she will likely expect when on active duty as for being shipped off, staying local, or staying on a base? I know its hard to predict 4-8 years into the future, but what usually is the case will be a sufficient outline.

Last question, her money. Will she be paid once she is in college or is it just her expenses will be paid for at that time? I am curious if it will be my responsibility to take over some of her things like her car payment, cell phone and such. I am okay with taking it over, as I work as a plumber and make decent money, but I just wasn't sure what to expect. Whether her money is something she will need while she is in school, and active duty, or if it could just about all be placed into a savings account for her when she leaves her active duty service, an be there if she needs a cheap car when on base, or wants to fly her family members (or maybe even me, haha) to come and visit her if she isn't local.

Thank you all for your time

yeah, one or two is fine. All helps. Trying to get all the stupid questions out of the way before I ask the recruiter myself.

Favorite Answer

1. The MOS she gets will depend on her line scores on the ASVAB test. Until she takes that there is no way to tell if she's even qualified to be a 68W.

2. IF she gets that MOS then she'll go to either Fort Jackson, Fort Leonard Wood, or Fort Sill for 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training. Upon graduation she'll ship to Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio for 16 - 68 weeks of training; length depends on the skill identifier they give her. Once she graduates AIT, she'll ship to her permanent duty station; more than likely for her entire first enlistment, unless she gets an overseas assignment.

3. While at her PDS she can attempt to take classes at a local college or on base at the education center. The needs of the Army come first though, so it's not guaranteed that she'll be able to sign-up immediately, nor take classes every semester.

4. While attending school on active duty (part-time) she may get tuition assistance to pay for her school, but there is no guarantee. Once she gets out, if she qualifies for full GI Bill benefits, she'll get 36 months of college paid for, along with a $1,000/year textbook stipend and a housing allowance. The Department of Veterans Affairs has an entire website dedicated to providing information on the GI Bill.

Your take-aways from this are that she will NOT be "educated" to be a doctor. She will get basic medical training up to an EMT level. There is almost zero possibility that she'll make it through her post graduate and doctorate studies with what the Army or VA will pay for!

You - and it appears her - are grossly misinformed.

She is not going to get any 'education', and certainly not any college, while in the Army. She will be receiving some of the best training there is, but other than a few night classes, she is not going to be getting any 'education' while she serves her term of enlistment.

I am going to try to address your comments a they appear above. They apply specifically to the Army, but are similar to all the other Services:

- you need to understand now that there are two types of personal status in the military: single and married; these are it, there are no girl/boyfriends, no fiances, no ex, no separated, nothing - only married and single; util you two are married, you do not count towards anything to the military - cold, but true

- if you two are married, then you can accompany her to wherever she will be stationed, unless it is something like a remote, one-year tour to Korea or to a combat zone. Normally, she will be assigned to a stateside or overseas regular base (like Germany), where you will be able to go as her Dependent - but ONLY if you are married. If you are still single, then you can follow her to just about anywhere she is at, but she will be in the barracks (where you are not allowed) and will not be receiving a housing allowance as if she was married.

- it appears from your comments that she is enlisting; as such her contract will be for 8 years. However, the 8 years is almost always broken up into 3-6 years on active duty and the rest in one of the reserve components, which could mean a traditional monthly drilling unit or in the Individual Ready Reserve - which is simply that they keep your data on file. The reality is she will serve 3 to 6 years on active duty based on what her enlistment terms are.

- her 'education' will consist of Basic Combat Training (where she learns how to be a Soldier) and Advanced Individual Training (where she learns her specific job - or MOS); depending on her MOS, this could be as little as six months combined or as much as 15 months combined; She does not 'pay' or 'owe' any of this back - it is all part of her initial entry training into the military. However, NONE of this is 'college' or 'education' in any way, shape, or form.

- you need to understand that if she goes for being a Medic, her training is essentially like being a civilian EMT, but on steroids. You need to stop thinking that this is in any way preparing her to be a doctor or that it is 'education' - it is training, albeit some of the best in the world. She does not incur any need to repay - her term of Service does that.

- like any other Servicemember, she can try to take evening or online college classes if they are available where she is at. The reality here is that no one is really able to complete more than the freshman year while in their first enlistment - and only if they do nothing but classwork when not working.

- No idea what the college crap they are feeding you. She can go to whatever college she wants before she enters the military, but that is on her, and the military doe snot pay for any of it. The military has nothing to do with how she does her college and graduate education once she has completed her term of Service.

The only time that college comes int play before you go on active duty is if she enters college and enrolls in ROTC will there - but that is a whole different ball game, and requires another page or two of explanation.

- when she completes her term of Service, she will be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, which pays for her to go to the civilian college of her choice - that is after she has left the Service and is on her own. The GI Bill is administered by the VA, not the DoD.

- her base pay starts the day she enters Basic Training and continues till she leaves Service. When she gets to Basic, there will be a system delay that can be up to six weeks till her pay gets settles, but she will get back pay from when she arrived. College money and living stipend with the GI Bill starts after she leave active duty - which at this point looks to be about 5-7 years from now.

IM me if you need more info - because I think you will ...

Source(s): 24 years Regular Army; 4 years USAR / ARNG

Hi, i'm Mateo and I will answer one or two of your questions today. If she isn't in it for the country, I would try to talk her out of it. Instead, you could maybe get a grant or something of the sort instead of the funds given to soldier whom stay for 4 years. And the ASVAB will affect placement, it determines what you are suitable for in the military. She will have to serve 4 years BEFORE being able to go to college, honestly I don't know if it's any different for medics. But she will have to go to bootcamp when the rest of her class goes. And you should be able to see her pretty often, it depends on the exact part of the military she wants to join. She will not be sent for active duty for maybe 4-5 months, it varies on your training and courses you have to take. Hope this helps.

Source(s): LIFE