If my significant other is going to be a Medic, what should I expect?

First and foremost, you don't need to write as much as I did, I am just trying to put out everything that I know so you can more easily address my questions. I apologize "10pts" is all I can give you in return, but these answers truly mean a lot to my actual self, lol. My significant other is in... show more First and foremost, you don't need to write as much as I did, I am just trying to put out everything that I know so you can more easily address my questions. I apologize "10pts" is all I can give you in return, but these answers truly mean a lot to my actual self, lol.

My significant other is in the process of going into the military, in order to receive an education and further her chances at becoming a doctor (not enough finances between us to make school a possibility).
I am not sure what to expect, and she has been jumping into it, so if some generous people could enlighten me it would be greatly appreciated. For reference, she is 20, and I'm 20. We've been together a a couple since middle school. Seriously, 8 years we've been dating. We've lived together since we were 17 (no kids at this time).

Some of my questions are, what is she getting herself into in terms of being away from home (years, where will she be) and what should I expect as a significant other in terms of being able to see her? Little did she know, I had bought her a ring and was going to propose in the next few months. She has definitely earned it in the years we've been together. I'm just afraid as we have never really been apart like this.

Her #1 reason for getting involved is not to serve our Country but to pursue her education, however I believe regardless she will still apply herself 100% to serve. and I fully support that as all the other options we have chased around have fallen through for her, I don't want her to be stuck in some job where she will not be utilized to her true capabilities forever.

Once she takes her ASVAB test (will scores effect her chance or placement?) she will be going for her physical in the next state away, and than coming home to see when she will be off to boot camp (which I realize could be a week or two months). But what isn't clear to me is where she will be during her education, and what that will be like (years, attendance) as a medic, as well as how many years she must serve to recoup the benefits of her education (also, do different branches require medics, and does it effect her education or how she is placed on active duty?) She hasn't completed a post-grad school (as a civilian it takes 4 years of post grad, and than you are allowed to do your 4 years of medical school, I have no idea how this would work in the military). Would she still need to attend two separate schooling's Or would they be side by side schooling of some sort so its only 4 years of college?

My next question, they said she would be able to attend any college she wants that she is accepted into, including a local college before she serves. I have never heard of that being the case, all of my friends that have gone into the military went to a "military" school prior, so I don't know how it would work if someone could clarify?

Once she does her "college", than how many years would she be required to serve on active duty? And is there anything she will likely expect when on active duty as for being shipped off, staying local, or staying on a base? I know its hard to predict 4-8 years into the future, but what usually is the case will be a sufficient outline.

Last question, her money. Will she be paid once she is in college or is it just her expenses will be paid for at that time? I am curious if it will be my responsibility to take over some of her things like her car payment, cell phone and such. I am okay with taking it over, as I work as a plumber and make decent money, but I just wasn't sure what to expect. Whether her money is something she will need while she is in school, and active duty, or if it could just about all be placed into a savings account for her when she leaves her active duty service, an be there if she needs a cheap car when on base, or wants to fly her family members (or maybe even me, haha) to come and visit her if she isn't local.

Thank you all for your time
Update: yeah, one or two is fine. All helps. Trying to get all the stupid questions out of the way before I ask the recruiter myself.