How do I attain a Workers' Visa so I can move to the USA?

I'm a fifteen year old girl from Canada and I want to move to the USA when I'm older, to one of the warmer states: Nevada, California, Arizona, or Florida preferably. Yeah yeah, I know, it's a sinking ship or whatever you wanted to say, but I'm sick of the cold and I am not moving to Africa.

Anyways, I was wondering how exactly I could go about moving to the US. I am capable to pursue many careers in order to go there. When I'm eighteen and then again when I'm nineteen, I'll be receiving anywhere from $10,000-$30,000 (Canadian) of inheritance money which could be put towards secondary school or other things I may need in order to move. My stepdad has dual citizenship (Canada-US) if that helps.

In my situation, what would be the easiest and fastest way to start living in the US?

3 Answers

  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)applications next received on 1st April 2014

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.

    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this ( ..

    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that tere is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©



    follow the flow chart


    Short term, non immigrant visa, but allows for OPT after studies, which is basically for on job training

    F1 visa, from an accredited school, to get this as a rule of thumb, you have to show that you have means to cover the cost of tuition and other living expenses, so around $10K on top of tuition per year at the very least. This can be from having cash in the bank, loans available or other credit, sponsorship or scholarship etc.

    This visa doesn't allow you to work whilst studying for the first semester of the course (6 months), and then after that, only for 20 hours a week on campus.

    Student visas (F) are non-immigrant but in some cases it may be possible to switch to H1-B or a similar visa class on graduation and progress from there to a green card. This is not guaranteed. bear in mind most employees want experienced staff

  • bw022
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    Having a step-dad in the US doesn't help you if he isn't willing to sponsor your mother and you as dependants.

    In order to live permanently in the United States, you require a US green card. This requires either: marrying an American (or being the dependant child of an American); obtaining a skilled job offer in a profession permitted to hire foreign workers (doctor, engineer, nurse, specialized trades, etc.); invest $1M in a US company; or a valid refugee claim (Canadians may not apply). You must also pass background, medical, and financial checks. Process takes years (outside of marriage). At 19 it is highly unlikely you would qualify under any of the categories.

    You can live temporarily in the US under a variety of visas. A student visa requires that you apply and be accepted into a US college and will likely cost $30-40k per year (tuition in the US is about 3-4x higher than in Canada). There are then various types of visas for athletes and coaches, NATO military personal, journalists, etc. All are extremely temporary and require specific conditions.

  • 8 years ago

    Apparently, your stepfather (if still married to your mother) is not filing a petition for your mother & you to immigrate to US? Is he residing in Canada or US? He'd have to reside in US, and earn enough to support himself, all his other dependents, plus whoever he petitions for - your mother, you, any siblings?

    Then your options are: temporary student visa to attend university in the US. Average cost of 4 year bachelor's degree for Americans is $250,000. A rapidly growing number of universities charge over $50,000/yr just for tuition. Yes, fiercely expensive & your anticipated "inheritance" might not even cover one semester of school + living expenses. Proof of sufficient funds for all school + living expenses at the school which accepted you, plus return to your country of citizenship, is required to apply for a student visa. Canadian universities are much less expensive than US.

    Employment visa: these days you need a master's in science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) occupations, and it had better be with expertise in something esoteric like (currently, likely to change even before you finish bachelor's) nanotechnology, robotics, etc, to even try to compete for scarce jobs.

    Unless stepfather is US citizen AND US resident, and earns enough to support everyone & has a home for them, it does not look like you have any options for immigration, only temporary student or employment visas - if you ever qualify for one or the other.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.