Why do people think Skrillex sucks?

I just stared listening to Skrillex for a few month. I usually listen to classic rock like pink floyd or jam bands like phish. I heard alex clare's close to you in a windows commercial and really liked the song (actually just that bass drop portion of the song) so I searched and searched to find out what it actually was. It turns out there is a genre called dubstep and started listening it. And recently found out Skrillex who was already pretty famous. Now I know Skrillex uses more of mid range pitch which is not really similar to old school dirty bass dubstep and I like the variety to it. However when I was searching for new artists online I always saw some hardcore dubheads hating on Skrillex with passion. I don't get all the hate. Since I'm a newbie could someone who involved with this kind of music longer explain why?

Favorite Answer

I want to explain something to you. There are several major reasons why people, at least where I live, hate on the new wave American dubstep artists. I'm saying this from a British perspective but you can understand the argument no matter what nationality you are.

-The genre, dubstep, comes from the UK- bearing in mind it's not the fact the genre has spread abroad that bothers people here in Britain. The UK rave culture shows some very similar values to the hippy movement, and we value left wing ideals, we are VERY anti commercial, anti society and anti capitalist (which explains our tradition of illegal raves). Artists like Skrillex and Deadmau5 have destroyed dubstep for us. They have bought rave culture "above ground" instead of keeping it "underground". It kind of nauseates us here to see the way Americans have commercialized the genre and turned its whole ethos into something it isn't. Basically, to us, it is supposed to be alternative, street music. Skrillex especially has also cashed in on the charts (the kiss of death) and his fans worship him like a god. DJs should never be treated like rock stars- they should do it for free, at free parties (which are therefore illegal), for the love of the music, and THIS is what keeps rave culture alive.

Neither do I like Alex Clare btw... I'm honestly not disagreeing for the sake of it! Sorry :P

-So yeah, basically, we feel these artists have given the death blow to an already-dying rave culture.

-Skrillex's music is terrible. I'm sorry, but I can't find a way around that fact. This is what I'd call good dubstep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8C-ZTQJIkU

Youtube thumbnail

- Zeds Dead are actually Canadian but imo they "get it" much better than Skrillex... As you can see I'm honestly not being racist... haha

(One of the main reasons being Skrillex doesn't use much bass- dubstep is supposed to have a lot of bass!)

And this is a grimy British dubstep tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt3vItRCSQk

Youtube thumbnail

-Skrillex is, uh, everything dubstep should stand against. He's rich, private school educated, and if you look into his past he got into it after failing at a rock band.. He seems to be doing what he's doing for the money rather than the love of the music, although I could be just being overly judgmental.

-I think though, and this is a pretty big reason- so last, but definitely not least!- because of Skrillex's use of midrange frequencies, bassheads are always going to find Skrillex annoying. A disproportionately large amount of people who are into electronic music are going to love a good bassline, and little else, because most of what you call "EDM" if you're American has that quality to it.

--->Honestly, in Britain we f*cked up hip hop so we're not blameless either!

Hope I helped clarify things a bit :) sorry about the long rant haha

Source(s): British raver, passionate about electronic music, knew dubstep as it was coming out.
    • james3 years agoReport

Your example of "real" dubstep is horrible...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6WJYe6n-l8

I'm one of the many people who hates skrillex. You're better off listening to classic stuff you know?

Before our music began to suck hard!

People do not listen to enough heavy songs like this one Synoid-Ocarina of Grime. Its sub-genre is deathstep, because it is MUCH heavier than normal dubstep songs.

Because he's a good guy who makes shitty music now- he used to be good now his new projects and crap suck ***- he's pretty self centered now and is wasting his real talent on stupid stuff

Because that kind of music is terrible. It is so annoying and too technology based. It requires no real skill.

• Cake4 years agoReport

yeah you just praying and randomly click in front of computer and bam! you make BBC radio one hit? no

I think he sucks (now) because he made a song with Justin Bieber (?), in his little Jack Ü crew....

I used to like him, now I think he's a straight down for cock ****** :)

• CG4 years agoReport

and his Jack U stuff sucks

Skrillex Sucks

its no talent garbage that is ridiculed by EVERYONE not rolling on MDMA..DJ comes from the latin word NOT a real musician

Because those people are all a bunch of rednecks who cannot accept a new genre of music. They are just hooked on old rock or pop musics.

• CG4 years agoReport

Rock is the best you dick