Steps to becoming a game warden?

I'm 16 years old and I have a passion for the outdoors. I love fishing and hunting and everything that has to do with the outdoors. I was really interested in being a game warden because I hate trespassers and I hate poachers and I would just love catching people in the act. I was going to go to a BOCES program at my school for criminal justice and then go to college and study it there too. I'm fit and in good physical condition. Do I sound like I'm in the right direction to become one? I live in New York State also.

• Justin
    Favorite Answer

The best advice I can give you is to go to the game a fish department and ask them. Talk to a game warden. Also most states require some form of a biology degree. The criminal justice will help a little though. I too am looking into this being a career. I am currently in the Air Force, actually currently in Afghanistan, so all I want to say is good luck. People will put you down for wanting to be a game warden. Don't listen to them. What you're looking to do is a necessary job to help protect our hunting rights.

• J.W.

Requirements to become a game warden and how you become a game warden depends on the agency that you want to work for. Visit the websites of the agencies that you might want to work for. Agency websites often provide information about their applicant requirements, about how to apply, and about their hiring process. Getting a college degree is one of the best things that you can do. Many law enforcement agencies require or prefer applicants to have college. Having a degree could help you get hired by some agencies. Some agencies pay their officers more if they have a college degree. Having a degree could also help you get promoted during your career. Agronomy, animal science, biology, communications, criminal justice, environmental science, fisheries/wildlife biology, conservation biology, forestry, forest management, natural resource management, range management, range science, agricultural science, zoology, ecology are some majors that you might want to consider. If you are interested in animals and/or the outdoors and law enforcement, you might want to also consider titles such as animal cruelty investigator, humane law enforcement officer, and park ranger. You might be interested in federal jobs such as Uniformed Law Enforcement officer for the United States Forrest Service or Special Agent, Wildlife Inspector for the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, or Special Agent for the Environmental Protection Agency. Consider local, state, and federal jobs. Best of luck!