David asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 7 years ago

As much information about the Jerry Sandusky trial as possible?

I'm a high school student and I've got this BS report to do in which I need to choose a notorious celebrity and then write a report of your persuasion of whether or not he's guilty. So I chose Jerry Sandusky and I need to choose whether to defend or prosecute him and the most important thing is knowing all the evidence and stuff.

So can you please tell me as much as you can about the whole trial. Anything will help, whether or not the evidence is for him or against him. It is due tomorrow. Please help me out, guys. Because I can't find anything specific online.

• tj
    Favorite Answer

..

Here's some bio from the net and some of my own bits in quotation marks:

Gerald Arthur "Jerry" Sandusky (born January 26, 1944) is a retired American football coach. Sandusky served as an assistant coach for his entire career, mostly at Pennsylvania State University under Joe Paterno, and was one of the most notable major college football coaches never to have held a head coaching position. He received Assistant Coach of the Year awards in 1986 and 1999. Sandusky authored several books related to his football coaching experiences.

In 1977, Sandusky founded The Second Mile, a non-profit charity serving Pennsylvania underprivileged and at-risk youth.

In 2011, following a two-year grand jury investigation, Sandusky was arrested and charged with 52 counts of sexual abuse of young boys over a 15-year period.

Early life and family

Sandusky was born in Washington, Pennsylvania, the only son of Evelyn Mae (ne Lee), an Irish Catholic homemaker who came from a small Pennsylvania coal-mining town, and Arthur Sandusky, whose parents, Edward and Josephine Sendecki, had immigrated from Poland to East Vandergrift, Pennsylvania.

Jerry Sandusky attended Washington High School, where he was a good student and standout athlete, playing baseball, basketball, and football. He was a leader on his junior high basketball team that went undefeated through the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League. Personally, his classmates have described him as a studious "loner" who "never dated in high school" but was a popular and handsome athlete.

Sandusky married Dorothy "Dottie" (ne Gross) in 1966, and together they have six adopted children. Sandusky and his wife have also served as foster parents. One of Sandusky's sons, Jon Sandusky, is Director of Player Personnel for the Cleveland Browns. Another son, E. J. Sandusky, is an assistant football coach at West Chester University.

(My addition: 1986 Jerry adopted Matt, who later said that Jerry molested him.)

Education and playing career

Sandusky played for Joe Paterno at Penn State, starting at defensive end from 1963 to 1965. He graduated first in his class with a B.S. in health in 1966 and physical education in 1970.

Early coaching career

Sandusky served as a graduate assistant under Paterno at Penn State in 1966. He was the assistant basketball and track coach at Juniata College in 1967 and the offensive line coach at Boston University in 1968.

Coaching career at Penn State

He returned to Penn State in 1969 and remained there as an assistant coach until his retirement at the end of the 1999 season.

(My addition: JS retires after the alamo bowl, his last game, in '99, a shutout victory against texas a&m.. JS is very upset to not get jopa's job and talks about it to his victim . It's in the grand jury summary.

What is not in the GJ summary is that a psychiatrist from child and family services interviewed the '98 victim twice and concluded that JS was grooming the boy. Somehow this report never gets to the investigation file. When Inv. Schreffler reports to Gricar, he tells him he'll take it from there.

Gricar labels the case 'unfounded' and closes it.

Here's the verbatim from JP's handwritten notes found in his files:

We know this isn’t easy for you and it isn’t easy for us or Penn State. Part of the reason it isn’t easy is because I allowed and at times, tried to help you with developing your 2nd mile. If there were no 2nd mile, I believe you belief (sic) that you probably could be the next Penn state FB coach.

But you wanted the best of two worlds and I probably should have sat down with you six or seven years ago and said look , jerry, if you want to be the next head coach of penn state, give up your association with the 2nd mile and concentrate on nothing but your family and penn state. Don’t worry about the second mile-you don’t have the luxury of doing both. One will always demand a decision of preference. You are too deeply involved with both.

Paterno's notes on the page of 'retirement requests' submitted by JS say:

"..No to 2nd mile kids. Liability problems."

JP and his underlings went on to soothe JS's disappointment at not getting head coach position by granting him a retirement package that was unprecedented up to that point. 168K (111+k after tax), full access and keys, office, telephone, parking spot AND they made 71 payments to him for travel, meals, lodging, special engagements, camps and other activities from January 5, 2000 through July 22nd, 2008.

When JS retired , he held two positions that did not merit Professor Emeritus status. The provost was urged by JP to put it through.)

Here's the NPR summary and timeline link:

http://www.npr.org/2011/11/08/142111804/penn-state...

~~~

Everybody is innocent till proven guilty. Then a jury f peers will decide punishment as allowed under the law.