Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 7 years ago

Yesterday I bought car. It has road tax, MOT and car insurance (for previous owner's).?

Today I wanted to do car insurance for my name. But when I was driving my new car, I slipped out into the ditch. The weaher was very wet. It was a single-car accident. I'm right, but who helped me called the police and I gave my details. 30 minutes later our recovery transferred my car. Mean time the police was looking for the previous owner.

I don't know now, what can I do, because the police know my details, my address. When I bought a car, it had everything perfect. I'm sure, and I don't want to have a problem for previous owner.

Can you help me somebody, what I need to do now? I think I will get penalty and i don't have claim.

Thank you for every answer!!!

I live in UK.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Simple, you didn't have insurance. The previous owner's is for him, not you.

Minimum penalty you'll face is 6 points & a £200 fine, probably more, and you're on your own with the damage to the car, plus whatever recovery charges the Police throw at you.

No sympathy whatsoever, hopefully you'll lose your licence over this and it'll be one less uninsured t0sser on the road.

• 7 years ago

The insurance of the previous owner does no apply to you at all. It ceased to be effective as soon as you became the owner of the car.

Providing that the appropriate parts of the V5C form were correctly filled in the DVLA will know that you are the Registered Keeper of the vehicle, so all correspondence from the police will be sent to you. If there was a delay in sending the form to the DVLA then the previous owner will be the one that they contact.

He will tell them that he sold the car to you and so from that moment onwards you were wholely responsible for it. Therefore there will be no problems for him.

You were driving without insurance. This is a criminal offence under the Road Traffic Act.

The responsibility for the crash, the cost of recovery and repairs, and the criminal penalty must be borne by you.

You will be prosecuted. Your case will be heard in a magistrate's court, they do not have a jury in these courts. You will have penalty points on your driving licence and fined, and probably charged legal costs too.

It will be very expensive in fines and costs. If anyone had been injured then you may have been facing a prison sentence as well.

The only thing you can do is to be honest with the majistrate in court. Tell him that you were taking a chance by driving home without insurance, and hope that they do not fine you very much.

If you try and plead that it was not your fault because of the rain, or try and claim that you "need the car" then they will consider that you are taking the court for fools and increase the fine. You have been foolish and committed a serious offence. Do not try pathetic excuses in court, they never work.

It may help your case if you improve your standard of English. What you have written is not good. If you can make your English to a higher quality than it is in your question you will make a better impression in court.

When you try to buy insurance properly next time you will find that the premiums will be VERY high.

Source(s): The Road Traffic Act 1988 c52 section 145
  • 7 years ago

What an idiot you are. Why did you not get some insurance for yourself before driving away? I highly doubt the previous owner will have had insurance for any driver and anyway, (s)he will have had that cancelled by now.

Go to the cop shop, own up and say you're an idiot and take the 6 points and £200 min fine that they'll give you, and insure your car so you can take it away. You will have to pay for repairs.

If you already have 6 points on your licence, you've had it, you'll lose it. It's your fault and maybe you'll learn this one the hard way.

If you have previous motor convictions, the coppers may give you a bigger fine or 9-11 points.

Happy motoring!

• 7 years ago

The previous owner had car insurance , but you dont.

So you drove your new car UNINSURED , you had an accident , police were notified and you are caught !

No Insurance 6 penalty points minimum , possibly a ban , a fine , you will have a damaged car to repair.

Think about it , what if you were injured , or injured someone else ?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

The previous owner's insurance is 100% irrelevant to you.

You didn't arrange cover for yourself, therefore you were driving without insurance.

As well as having no cover and therefore no claim you'll get points and a fine for driving with no insurance. You will now find it horrifyingly expensive to get cover anywhere.

It won't be a problem for the previous owner. It wasn't their car the moment the V5 changed hands.

• 7 years ago

Are you a new driver? if so - no insurance 3 points and £200, Driving without due care and attention 3 points and £100. That's 6 points so back to L plates, and the car probably crushed.

If you are an experienced driver then shame on you for not knowing better. The previous owner will quite rightly wash his hands of you.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

You can argue it out in court but the fault is with you for not taking insurance out you can and most likely will be fined and felt with for no insurance.

Also you may well find that you will have problems getting insurance in future as well due to this

• 7 years ago

I think everyone here has answered.

No Insurance = No car & No licence. A short but glorious driving career.

Didn't you driving instructor or you theory test teach you anything about insurance rules?

• Sal*UK
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

You are totally knackered.

No way should you have driven the car without organising the insurance IN YOUR NAME first.

All repairs will be down to you saldly and you will be reported for driving without insurance. Sad but true. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• 7 years ago

In short, things are going to get very expensive for you. You've committed a serious offence which is going to cost you in the shape of a fine plus numerous points or loss of your licence. Furthermore the damage repair is all down to you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.