What is the best and most effective way to sharpen a pocket knife and hunting knife?

I recently came to own several kinds of small to large pocket knives and a few very sturdy hunting knives, a boot knife, and a few throwing knives. I'm just wondering. If I use any of these knives for anything at all. Let's say, skinning a stick so I can use it as a walking stick when I go hiking and camping. What is the best and most effective way to sharpen any blade?

Favorite Answer

Here's the short answer. Use a diamond sharpener, a general purpose whetstone, or and oil stone.

With a diamond stone, you can just use it dry.

With a whetstone, its best to soak it in water for 5-10 minutes before you use it.

With an oil stone, use some sort of sharpening oil on the stone itself. You can also use an oilstone the same way as a whetstone by soaking it in water, but do not use oil on a whetstone.

Most stones and diamond sharpeners come with a coarse side, and a fine side. If your knife edge is already kind of sharp, and you just want to touch it up, go straight for the fine side. If your blades edge is uneven, extremely dull or has nicks in it, use the coarse edge first.

Look at the blade of your knife. You will see two bevels or angle. The first one will usually run the majority of the width of the blade, the second one with be right where the edge is. Carefully hold the blade at the same angle as the edge, apply even pressure, and use a forward and slight sweeping motion on the stone/sharpener is the same direction as if you were making a cut. Do this 5-8 times on each side, depending on how dull the edge was.

To keep a burr from forming, alternate sides after every stroke for the last 2-3 swipes. You can also use a butchers steel (like the rod found in carving knife sets) to finish off the blade, or even the top of a ceramic coffee mug if you like to hone it slightly.

This will give you a workable edge. It wont get it hair flinging sharp, but for general use it will be good enough.

An alternative to sharpening with a stone, is to use sandpaper and a flat surface. Start with something like 220 grit for the rough sharpening, and work your way up to 400, 600 and 800 even 1200 grit. This will give you a much sharper edge.

If you don't know how to do it, the best and most effective way to sharpen a knife is to take it to someone who does and pay them to sharpen your knife for you. If you're very fortunate they'll show you how to do it.

Barring that, you'll want to use some kind of sharpener. That may be a wet-stone, a diamond stone, a lansky sharpener, or one of the drag through sharpeners. If you bother to read the directions, any of those can put a useable edge on a knife. Which to use is a matter of personal preference.

• Bob K

I recommend a Meyerco brand knife sharpener for all your needs.

Use it when you feel drag in using your knives while cutting. Don't wait to long till the blade is super dull as you have to work at sharpening a knife by then.

• Let your needs guide you to your most suitable knife sharpener. Single stage knife sharpeners do a good job when your knife blade just needs a "touch-up". However, for dull knife blades, multiple stage knife sharpeners make it easier and quicker to get a nice sharp cutting edge. Customer reviews are often helpful when choosing your most suitable knife sharpener (below).

• Kyle

I own a chef mate knife sharpener. It cost 100 bucks, and it brings a blade to razor effectiveness in less than 15 seconds. I really like it.

• C_F_45

For me, I have to agree with the previously recommended Lansky knife sharpening kit. I have the standard diamond kit. It's very easy to use and does a bang up job.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n97hZbHtY2I

Youtube thumbnail

I like the Lansky sharpening system. It gives you multiple types of stones and the angle can be easily controlled.

• Mr.357

I like oil stones. Or whet stones are good too.