Are pitbulls safe around newborn babies?

My brother is about to have his first child, which will be his wifes third. They have a 4 year old male pitbull that is so loving, and sweet. Not at all aggressive, not trained to be anything other than a member of the family. No "Alpha" attitude at all. No attack/aggression history in the dogs... show more My brother is about to have his first child, which will be his wifes third. They have a 4 year old male pitbull that is so loving, and sweet. Not at all aggressive, not trained to be anything other than a member of the family. No "Alpha" attitude at all. No attack/aggression history in the dogs "family history" from what I know. However, as far as I know, he has just never been around babies (youngest child in the family then was maybe 6 or 7 when he came into the picture). Now, this dog is a lover, and NEEDS to give kisses. Due to the shape/structure of his jaw, once in a while, he may slightly nip you with a single tooth while cleaning your face. No biting, just continuous, fat tongued, dog cleaning lol He's also a jumper. If you won't bring the kisses to him, he'll bring the kisses to you. This dog is mostly muscle, so when he jumps, it's quite a bit of force coming at you. I'm just worried that a baby may not be ready for this guy, but he ain't ready to wait for kisses from the baby. Is the strength of the dog manageable against the curiosity of needing to smell everything about the baby?
13 answers 13