Red
Red asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 7 years ago

Movies Where An Actor Plays A Real-Life Relation?

Or even plays themselves.

I recently watched the movie Chaplin where Charlie's daughter, Geraldine, plays her real-life grandmother, Hannah Chaplin.

BQ: Favourite movie starring Charlie Chaplin?

BQ2: Favourite movie starring Robert Downey Jr.?

Favorite Answer

Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh, who were lovers while married to others, played lovers in Fire Over England (1937) They actually married in 1940.

The Reluctant Debutante (1958) Rex Harrison and Kay Kendall were married and played a married couple.

The Truth About Spring (1965) John Mills plays the father of his real-life daughter Hayley Mills.

Dead Again (1991) Kenneth Branagh and wife Emma Thompson play husband and wife.

The Winter Guest (1997) Phyllida Law and daughter Emma Thompson play mother and daughter.

Spenser Tracy and Katharine Hepburn played husband and wife a number of times.

A really strange twist: The Rag Nymph (1997) Two sisters play the same character but at different ages. Perdita Weeks, who was 12 yrs old, played the character when a child. Her sister Honeysuckle Weeks, who was 18 yrs old, played the character as an adult.

I love Charlie Chaplin!

BQ: either The Great Dictator or The Kid...but there's a ton of good ones.

• LilyRT

I know there have been other movies with that situation, but I can't think of a one right now. the closest I've got is Ben Kingsley's father was from the same village as Gandhi, and his resemblance to Gandhi in the movie was so strong that some of the local villagers got upset when they saw him.

I know several movies where they play themselves:

The Player--it's about the movie industry and there are a ton of cameos of actors and actresses playing themselves

Ocean's Twelve--crummy movie, but Bruce Willis plays himself in a brief cameo

Borat--pamela anderson

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil--chablis is playing her, er, himself

Private Parts--howard stern and everybody else on the show itself are playing themselves

Being John Malkovich--John Malkovich and Charlie Sheen

Zombieland--Bill Murray

My Name is Bruce--Bruce Campbell

BQ: modern times

BQ2: Chaplin and The Avengers both for different reasons. and though its not as good, I've got a soft spot for Heart and Souls

• simone

I don't know but I'd love to see Lenny Kravitz play Al Roker (they're cousins.)

BQ: Modern Times

BQ2: Restoration

• Tone

I'll just answer the last question

Less Than Zero (Avengers are a close 2nd)

"Paper Moon" with Ryan and Tatum O'Neal

"On Golden Pond" with Henry and Jane Fonda