Source of abdominal pain?

What causes severe upper abdominal pain? I am a 31 yr old woman, no pertinent medical history to speak of, other than I have been on a gluten free diet for 4 months, due to a gluten sensitivity (tested negative for Celiac). For the past few weeks, I have had intermittent abdominal pain directly below my rib... show more What causes severe upper abdominal pain?
I am a 31 yr old woman, no pertinent medical history to speak of, other than I have been on a gluten free diet for 4 months, due to a gluten sensitivity (tested negative for Celiac).

For the past few weeks, I have had intermittent abdominal pain directly below my rib cage and right in the center. It started out just a gnawing, dull pain. I also had occasional diarrhea, but nothing too bad.

Last night, I began having the gnawing pain again, but this time it was also a burning pain, sometimes sharp. It did not go away and increased in intensity throughout the night, making it hard to sleep. When I did fall asleep early this morning, I was awakened with the pain, considerably more severe. I also had really bad diarrhea several times.

The pain is still there this morning, and continues to be severe. The pain itself seems to be making me a little nauseous. I have not eaten anything for fear I would either get sick or it would go right through me. When I stand up or stretch, the pain seems to subside a little, although it does not go away.

I am trying to determine of this is just a little bug. Have picked up, or if it is something worth calling my doctor about, i did have a similar spell, with less pain, about three years ago, and was referred to a surgeon who contemplated taking out my gall bladder, but felt it was okay, based on my HIDA scan (sp?)

Does anyone have any idea about what this could be, or a similar experience you have dealt with? I would like to know more before proceeding through a barrage of tests I may not need. Although if the pain continues to get worse, I will have no choice but to go to the doctor. Nothing really seems to help
1 answer 1