what do you call your first cousin's son or daughter?

According to my family, they would be your niece or nephew. It just doesn't seem right to me just like how they say my grandfather's brothers and sisters are also my grandfather or grandmother. My cousin (her mother and my mother are sisters) had a son a week or so ago and I overheard my "aunt" aka my mother's cousin (her father and my mother's father are brothers) telling her daughters that they are my cousin's son's aunts and that she and her cousin (also my mother's aunt) are grandmothers to him. Isn't a grandmother the mother of your mother or father and aren't aunts the sisters of your mother or father? I don't get my family's logic.

Favorite Answer

Contrary to what others have said, they're wrong.

Your first cousin's child would be your "first cousin once removed." Why the "once removed"? Because their child is one generation "removed" or "away" from their parent's generation. You and your cousin are in the same generation. So it's first cousin once removed.

Second cousin once removed would be your second cousin's child.

It's not second cousins. Your second cousins are your parents' first cousins.

It's not niece because your niece would be your sibling's son/daughter.

Many of these don't have a specific name so it's up to the family to decide. Your grandmother's sister is your great aunt though. And your mom's cousin is like an aunt because they are the same age like they are sisters. But that's not the definition of aunt so technically it's your desicion what you call her. (Your moms cousin)& Her kids are your second cousins.

BUT my {real/first} cousin's children "they say" are also my second cousins (never understood that one) but I am so much older that they call me aunt. Hopefully you understood what I struggled to explain lol

Second cousins :) I've got 2 second cousins they're 10 and 2 months old.

I call them "second cousins", thats what we all do around where I live, but for birthdays or christmas, we buy cards that say "cousin", same difference :P

My husband calls his second cousin his niece

i might have concept they have been your 2nd cousin and that your mum or dads cousin wouldnt be something to do with you or that they might merely be a 2nd cousin merely comparable to they are as quickly as bumped off too.

Your first cousins daughter/son is your second cousin.

Source(s): General knowledge
  • Nikkie

They would be your second cousin