According to the LDS(Mormon) belief, can blacks enter heaven?

In the Book of Mormon, the spirits who were neutral in the dispute between who would be the Earth's savior (Jesus or Lucifer) would be born into black bodies. And those who were rooting for Jesus would be born into a white Mormon family. Doesn't this mean that blacks were unfaithful and therefore cannot enter heaven, or am I mistaken?

(I'm not racist and I am not a Mormon)

• phrog
    Best Answer

yes, they certainly can.

and yes...you are mistaken. none of that is anywhere in the BoM

, i've been which means to ask the identical question. I've long gone to church all of my life and adored God all my life. I know that probably the most song I listen to is traditionally now not pleasing to His ears, however i am hoping that i can get by means of on religion, for the reason that i have rather a lot in Him. I pray to Him when I'm down and when I'm doing good. I feel that we're just right humans, and as long as we keep believing and apologize for the little matters we do, we'll be just pleasant. I quite hope so anyway. -And you are entirely correct concerning the last factor. I'm a firm believer in now not preaching down persons's throats. I do know if I was once an athiest and i had any person cramming faith down my throat, i would be completely grew to become off.

• Matt

That is totally wrong.

1. Everybody who followed Christ was born those who didn't will never get a body

2. All people are God's children and equal in his sight.

3. In the Bible Cain's family was cursed after killing Able. This does not mean that all black people are cursed by any means. Just as the Jews aren't the only children of God. In the times of the bible things were very literal. Mormon's are taught that if we treat others poorly or differently (especially because of their religion or skin color etc.) we are not fit for heaven.

• Doctor

Yes. Blacks are just as free to enter heaven as any other race. Salvation does not depend on color. Exaltation does not depend on color. This has always been the doctrine of the Church, as taught by all the prophets, and as taught in the Bible, Book of Mormon, and elsewhere.

The idea that blacks were neutral in the preexistence, sitting on the fence or not taking sides when Satan struggled to take all the glory to himself, was taught by a few men who lacked understanding and authority. This false doctrine was promptly denounced by the leaders of the Church, but some who never have a good word to say about the Church like to take this idea and pretend that it was Church doctrine.

Until 1978 blacks could not hold the priesthood while living in this present world, but they were promised the priesthood and every blessing that comes through the priesthood in the next life, if they were faithful. The priesthood is an authorization to serve others. They were never denied entry into heaven, any part of it, because they could not serve in the priesthood.

Wow! First of all there were no neutral spirits. Everyone made their choice in the preexistence. We even chose which families we would come to and when(birth order). There are many faithful black people in this church.There have been since the beginning in 1830. Go to blacklds.org for more information on that. Everyone black or white or Asian or whatever, has the opportunity to enter heaven.

The LDS have changed their doctrine, and try to hide it. That is why most LDS don't know about the racism that was taught. This quote was by O.Pratt (one of the original 12)

“This is the reason why the Lord is sending them here, brethren and sisters; they are appointed to come and take their bodies here, that in their generations they may be raised up among the righteous. The Lord has not kept them in store for five or six thousand years past, and kept them waiting for their bodies all this time to send them among the Hottentots, the African negroes, the idolatrous Hindoos, or any other of the fallen nations that dwell upon the face of this earth. They are not kept in reserve in order to come forth to receive such a degraded parentage upon the earth; no, the Lord is not such a being; His justice, goodness, and mercy will be magnified towards those who were chosen before they were born"

http://journalofdiscourses.com/1/9 LDS website

Also the BOM was changed “white and delightsome” in 2 Nephi 30:6 to “pure and delightsome”? The change in the 1981 edition seems to be an attempt to bring the Book of Mormon up to speed with the 1978 revelation that allowed black members of the Church to hold the priesthood.

Research it yourself it is true.

Penny do you realize that the Journal of discourses is the history of teachings that include what Joseph Smith and Brigham young were actually teaching on Sunday. How can you believe JS & B.Young are your true prophets, yet you disagree and don't accept what they actually taught!

Please explain.

Yes.

And that is NOT in the book of mormon at all.

This IS in the BoM:

2 Nephi 26: 33

...and he inviteth them ALL to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, ****black and white****, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.

--------------------------------

Judy, just an FYI--- the journal of discourses is not our doctrine, nor has it ever represented our doctrine. There have been racist members in the past (lets not forget that it was commonplace everywhere in america during that time) and they had their words recorded. But doctrine and recorded talks are not the same. It was never adopted as a doctrinal truth. Just a mans opinion. We didnt hide it, we put it out there as an honest part of our past. But one mans opinion does not make doctrine.

Yeah, the Book of Mormon doesn't talk about African Americans. It also doesn't talk much about the premortal existence. The Hebrew word for white is also the Hebrew word for pure. God is filled with glory which is described as whiteness. Blacks who are faithful will resurrect with glory as well as those of any other ethnicity. All the spirits who receive physical bodies were faithful in keeping their first estate. The Book of Mormon does say that God is not a respecter of persons, inviting all to come unto him, both black and white, bond and free, male and female. The Book of Mormon decries the iniquity of men where men seek to be lifted up in their pride and love not their brethren.

The LDS church has never practiced segregation, and has always been abolitionist in their doctrine.

Of course. Such has always been our teaching. Don't let anybody rent you a fox to guard your henhouse.

You really ought to read The Book of Mormon some time, amigo, if you want to look like you know what you're talking about. The Book of Mormon teaches no such thing.

• Ammon

You are not a race-hater and you are not a Mormon and...

you have been told lies by liars about what members of

THE Church Of JESUS CHRIST Of Latter Day Saints

believe.

When someone lies to you, we all remember the saying, fool me once

shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. So don't ever believe a thing

that these liars against Latter Day Saints are saying against members of

THE Church Of JESUS CHRIST Of Latter Day Saints.

Where in the Scriptures of

does it say that Black people were neutral in the pre-mortal existence in

The Pearl Of Great Price or

The Doctrine And Covenants or

The Book Of Mormon Another Testament Of Jesus Christ or

The Bible or

The Joseph Smith Inspired Translation Of The Bible???

Answer: It is not in there, not anywhere.

Therefor this is NOT doctrine of

NOR HAS IT EVER BEEN.

http://www.blacklds.org/platform

Those who say that is doctrine of

are shameful liars who you should never trust about anything ever again

if you had any sense at all (and I hope you do have some common sense left in you).

Latter Day Saints are not race-haters. Latter Day Saints are race lovers.

Latter Day Saints have always loved Black people. Latter Day Saints will always and

forever love Black people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKwBM93W7j0

Youtube thumbnail

http://vimeo.com/35233990

http://vimeo.com/56128466

http://vimeo.com/44720557

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sP1Aai5GVU

Youtube thumbnail

http://Mormon.org Chat.

God bless.

• Elsie

Of course we believe that blacks can enter Heaven. Just because people say Mormons are racist, doesn't make Mormon racist.

The Book of Mormon doesn't teach what you wrote in your question and the people who say that the Book of Mormon support racism always ignore this verse:

"...he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile. 2 Nephi 26:33