Alex G
Alex G asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 7 years ago

Is USAA the best auto insurance company?

Why or why not?

Or who do you think is best, and why?

@ CG-23 Jerk - thanks for your RUDE answer. USAA insures members of the military, so why don't you shove it?

@ I DID ask the question in "Insurance" - it got no answer. What's it to you anyway? If you can't say something nice - go F yourself. I'll never understand people like you. Me? I always give kind and thoughtful answers, or sometimes I try to be funny. You? You're a bully and an ******. I feel sorry for your girlfriend there.

Best Answer

USAA was founded in 1922 by a group of U.S. Army officers to self-insure each other when they were unable to secure auto insurance due to the perception that they were a high-risk group. As initially, the company only offered insurance to military officers and it is still not open to the general public (you still need a military affiliation), this technically is a military related question.

That said, for someone in the military or who access to being insured by them, they can't be beat. Sure, just as with other companies, their premiums will be a little higher (the only con) for those under 25, but they are easier to get insured if you have a few blemishes on your driving record.

Others may have lower rates, but usually a lower rate means either higher deductibles or very bad claim service. If your deductible is really high, what was the point of you having the insurance in the first place? If you can afford a $1000 deductible, you can afford $1000 cash payment for damages.

Additionally, some companies do not insure in all states or overseas. USAA does. Some companies will drop you if you PCS to another state. USAA won't.

I used to sell insurance and very few companies come close to what you can get from USAA AND you can modify your policy yourself online at anytime. They don't even need to visually see your vehicle to get initial insurance. Some companies require it.

Back to rates and service, while USAA may not have the lowest rates out there (but almost), their service is better than ALL of them. For example, I was once insured by GEICO, with an extra rider on some custom stereo equipment in my vehicle that was not factory. I only had the stereo for 2 weeks before my vehicle was broken into and the stereo and speakers were stolen. Friggin' GEICO depreciated it by 50% for replacement! Are you kidding me? That's what I paid extra for? To be ripped off? I dropped them and went to USAA then and there.

A few years later had a windshield shatter just as I was leaving for work. Called USAA and they had Safelight out to replace it in under an hour. No deductible...just a handshake and thank you. I was only an hour late for work. Some other companies would have had me waiting all day AFTER they sent out an assessor.

Who cares how low your premiums are if the service sucks?

So with all that said, what do you think?

I suggest one to visit this site where onel can get rates from different companies: http://INSUREFOREVERYBODY.INFO/index.html?src=2YAt...

RE :Is USAA the best auto insurance company?

Why or why not?

Or who do you think is best, and why?

Update: @ CG-23 Jerk - thanks for your RUDE answer. USAA insures members of the military, so why don't you shove it?

Update 2: @ I DID ask the question in "Insurance" - it got no answer. What's it to you anyway? If you can't say something nice - go F yourself. I'll never understand people like you. Me? I always give kind and thoughtful answers, or sometimes I try to be funny. You? You're a bully and an ******. I feel sorry for your girlfriend there.

2 following 9 answers

I have been with USAA since 1967 for car insurance, homeowners and boat. In each instance their rates for me and my wife were lowest or so close to being the lowest that the difference was insignificant. My wife was not a particularly good driver. In our first two years of marriage she had three accidents, one of which was a rollover in my Porsche 356. The also folded the driver's side door against the front fender while backing out of the carport the day before we supposed to move back to Florida. USAA always did things quickly and without any hassle. The damaged door accident was fixed in time for us to leave the next day. Some years later my wife and I divorced and she was cancelled by USAA just for the sheer number of accidents (9). She behaved and the took her back and her insurance went way down from what she was paying. She totaled another car within a year. It was worth, maybe $2,500 and she called me to ask if the $4,000 the offered was a good offer. I told her to cash the check as soon as she got it before they changed their mind (although they would never go back on a verbal commitment). USAA operates with a different business model than other companies. They believe in being more than fair with their customers. I think their reasoning is that if they operate that way, fewer lawyers are involved and, ultimately, their costs are lower and claims are settled faster with no ill will. USAA, Nationwide and some other companies are "mutual interinsurance exchanges". That means when you are insured with them, you are, essentially a member of the corporation. They are not beholden to outside stockholders, so the are not-for-profit companies in the common sense. They only charge enough to pay salaries, fixed expenses and claims expenses. That keeps overhead down. Look for the word "mutual" in the name of the company to find these types of companies.

• Alex G
      4 years agoReport

Excellent comment - I think you're right.

When we pcs'd to Germany we had to change our auto insurance and USAA was once one among 2 that might present us insurance (apart from the ones as a way to in Germany,I mean US situated coverage firms). We've stayed with them due to the fact. Now we've both our cars insured with them, renters insurance, and our youngsters saving tuition plans by way of them. They are not best good with households however with military families most likely. They aid so many services for navy spouses that they fairly will have to be counseled. They're best.

• NWIP

Not always. You really should do a comparison with other agencies because it really can vary. I have found Geico, State Farm and Progressive have matched or beat them over the years for insurance in 4 different states.

This is the MILITARY category, not Insurance.

Wrong category numbskull.

Just because USAA has a track record of being a Armed Services friendly company, hiring former Military personnel, does NOT make this a Military question.

Source(s): USN Vet

Yes by far especially for military personnel. Their insurance rates are extremely low(depending on your driving record), I always received my paychecks before those with Navy Federal and other branches, and they're really friendly and are actually there to help.

Source(s): Based on my experience with USAA
  • Bob P

Bought new car.

Got quotes from Allstate, State Farm & USAA.

USAA was almost double what the other 2 were.

Hello State Farm...

• Beilul

I recommend one to try this site where onel can compare rates from the best companies: http://PROTECTIONQUOTES.NET/index.html?src=5YAcVAs...

Why or why not?

Or who do you think is best, and why?

2 following 10 answers

Source(s): I recommend one to try this site where onel can compare rates from the best companies: http://PROTECTIONQUOTES.NET/index.html?src=5YAcVAs...