How can you microwave frozen fruit without them sparking?

Hello!

I just had a mini heart attack whilst microwaving some frozen berries (blackberries, blueberries, redcurrants and raspberries), and they started SPARKING and setting on fire! I immediately, in a panic, turned off the microwave - it had literally been on for about 4 seconds - and found that my fruit, whilst still frozen, smelled burnt!!

Some quick googling has explained to me the science behind why frozen fruit can spark and catch fire in the microwave (I can't say I fully understand it though aha), but nowhere does it say how you can actually use a microwave to safely defrost frozen fruit? Which is strange, as a lot of "The Internet" is full of people using microwaves to defrost fruit. And I always have frozen berries in porridge oats, and just put them in with the porridge and milk in the microwave, and I've never had any problems at all.

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms why my fruit CAUGHT FIRE? And also how I can use the microwave to defrost fruit, and if it is even possible at all?

Thanks,

Dani

They were just in a microwave-proof glass container! I am wondering if perhaps I should have added water? I know when cooking frozen veg in the microwave you add a little water, I guess it was a bit dopey of me not to assume the same for fruit. But before I try it, and explode my college dormitory, I'd like confirmation that adding some water in with the frozen fruit will stop it exploding....?

Favorite Answer

My guess is that since Mirco waves from a microwave heat liquid, the liquid in the fruit must have heated to where the outer fruit part would catch fire from it.

As for an answer, look at the other comments above me.

Microwave Thawing

Place your fruit in a sealed food bag or leave it in the original unopened package.

Put the bag in a bowl or plate to prevent a mess in your microwave if there are slight holes or tears in the bag that go unnoticed.

Set the microwave to the lowest power setting for one minute. Check the package and turn the bag every 10 seconds. Remove the fruit when you squeeze a piece of it through the bag and it is soft to the touch.

lol I never thawed fruit so I made a guess this is how u really do it ...I wouldn't add water cuz they already have water in them u have too much water and they might get mushie ...I would add water if u don't have a bag tho

You can just place a cup of water in the microwave. The waves are accelerated through individual spheres of the berries and their close proximity causes supper accelleration of the waves to where they can arc between the spheres. The arcing is scorching the fruit and causing burning odor. A cup of water allows the microwaves somewhere else to go so that the magnetron isnt pumping all of its power through the berries.

Put it in a plastic bowl

Put it on 3 minutes and 50 seconds

specific you are able to defrost rooster in a microwave. It often starts off to prepare dinner around the edgest formerly the interior is cooked, nevertheless. Are you going to decrease the products up formerly you prepare dinner them? if so, save checking the rooster as that is defrosting to verify it is not cooking. as quickly as you are able to, decrease the rooster into products, unfold them frivolously on a plate, verify them often, and get rid of any bits that are already defrosted. and be sure you prepare dinner the rooster thoroughly as quickly as that is been defrosted.