How can you microwave frozen fruit without them sparking?

Hello! I just had a mini heart attack whilst microwaving some frozen berries (blackberries, blueberries, redcurrants and raspberries), and they started SPARKING and setting on fire! I immediately, in a panic, turned off the microwave - it had literally been on for about 4 seconds - and found that my fruit,... show more Hello!

I just had a mini heart attack whilst microwaving some frozen berries (blackberries, blueberries, redcurrants and raspberries), and they started SPARKING and setting on fire! I immediately, in a panic, turned off the microwave - it had literally been on for about 4 seconds - and found that my fruit, whilst still frozen, smelled burnt!!

Some quick googling has explained to me the science behind why frozen fruit can spark and catch fire in the microwave (I can't say I fully understand it though aha), but nowhere does it say how you can actually use a microwave to safely defrost frozen fruit? Which is strange, as a lot of "The Internet" is full of people using microwaves to defrost fruit. And I always have frozen berries in porridge oats, and just put them in with the porridge and milk in the microwave, and I've never had any problems at all.

Can anyone explain to me in simple terms why my fruit CAUGHT FIRE? And also how I can use the microwave to defrost fruit, and if it is even possible at all?

Thanks,

Dani
Update: They were just in a microwave-proof glass container! I am wondering if perhaps I should have added water? I know when cooking frozen veg in the microwave you add a little water, I guess it was a bit dopey of me not to assume the same for fruit. But before I try it, and explode my college dormitory, I'd like... show more They were just in a microwave-proof glass container! I am wondering if perhaps I should have added water? I know when cooking frozen veg in the microwave you add a little water, I guess it was a bit dopey of me not to assume the same for fruit. But before I try it, and explode my college dormitory, I'd like confirmation that adding some water in with the frozen fruit will stop it exploding....?