I received a e-mail from Yahoo news Lottery saying Yahoo International Mega Jackpot UK-Table of Reward ?

I have won 1 Million dollars and I'm to give out personal information in a e-mail to Mrs. Grace Campbell @ yah.oo.card.claim.center@live.com and phone is +233-249-124-150. The winnings are deposited in a MasterCard# 5283-0421-0025-362. Also signed by Mrs.Mercy Hunt Yahoo(R)/Mircosoft(R) Mega Jackpot. I have not given out any personal information. What should I do I believe and what's the next action to do! Regards, Julie.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

100% scam.

There is no lottery, draw, jackpot, promotional or raffle.

There is no Yahoo, Apple, iPhone, ESPN, HSBC, Skype, Facebook, Nokia, Shell, BBC, Google, Coca-Cola, MSN, Microsoft, BMW or any other company in the entire world that sponsors a contest that notifies winners via email, phone call or text.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "lottery official" and will demand you pay for made-up fees and taxes, in cash, and only by Western Union or moneygram.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential ******' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even partial sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "fake yahoo lottery", "lotto Western Union fraud" or something similar, you will find hundreds of posts of victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

• 7 years ago

There is no Yahoo Lottery. This is a straight up phishing scam. Why would Yahoo use @live.com as it's email domain instead of @yahoo.com? That mistake right there is a dead giveaway that this is a scam.

"Is the email I received really from Yahoo!?"

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=content&y=PROD...

• 4 years ago

It is a scam. period. They will ask you to pay up front taxes on the so-called winnings or pay flight expenses for the courier, etc... All requests will be that you need to send them money via western union (because it is untraceable and non-reversible). Most of these type scams originate in Africa.

• 7 years ago

yeah what they said.. if you actually won some mega jack pot prize they would call you or come to your house. a real jack pot only transfers real money with you in person or at a bank. if a guy trys to tell you if won but they need a little bit of money for some reason or more information then whats regular. its crap.

Source(s): my subtle opinion
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

NoNonNO

iti s scam

a lady i knew at work gave info out this is for ID theft

also she gave them her bank account number so they can deposit a check is she nuts? yup she did it ..

they wiped her out IF theft her. there is no random lottery of any worth except cole rewards award then they will call you .

so NO NO NOI

anything from UK Africa Nigeria is a scam , read about scams on the net someone died left u money, u entered a contest hooray u win , youve been chosen only you follow these steps etc get the picture , or this is from your freinds name a real freind yahoo does this too u might have a freind named tom adn in return sender it says hey open this its me tom adn you woudl be inclined to open it as well.. you know tom but check the address of the emailer for sure an bak up all your contacts on paper ,, yes paper to know whos is whos emails return sendders

by the way the most clever hackers are from Uk majte

first of all if u entre a contest your self, you will be called.

do nto enter coupion sweeptakes on the net or anything coke awards is safe but all ppl 3rd parties get info ok adn they sell it names addies to ppl companies yahoo is one of them ok

yahoo is free sitte remember anything free site on the net is subject to selling names 3rd parties

never open up an email unles su know thd sender so by now your computer may be compromised and attacked with a trojan worm or adware to attack your comp to get all your pictures banking info. ok sop nto run the antivirus things as you opened up that email. send no info never ever click on any random links sent to you

their out there such as hey i saw your mom or brother click here ..

it is a virus to attack your computer .

also yahoo is known fi u dont use your email in a long time regular and check updates on your computer yahoo ppl from your list send u random harmful links to emails.

NEVER open up email from no one u know . if u doubt it then call them up or ask them hey did u send an email to me

also back up your computer files to a usb port thingy u plug into a comptuer. things u value like pix or prgrams files etc.

also..

• 7 years ago
  • 7 years ago

SCAM!!

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

it depends...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.