Is the Confederate Flag offensive in general?

I recently bought a flag that has the Confederate background, but has the snake from Don't Tread on Me flag in the middle and it even says Don't Tread on Me at the bottom. I currently have it on my flag pole in my front yard and I live away from the city so no one will really see it except my neighbors, but would you consider that flag offensive? It's not the straight up Confederate flag.

Favorite Answer

So I went to college in South Carolina, and this is my take on it. I get that people are proud of their regional history, but it is undeniably racially insensitive. I lived in Charleston (which btw is the town where the civil war began) and around the town there were TONS of memorials to the confederate defenders of charleston, tons of confederate flags, statues of prominent slave owners, and nothing- literally nothing, memorializing the millions of enslaved Africans that were brought into our country through Charleston harbor.

The fact is- the civil war was about the right of states to perpetuate slavery for the economic gain of their wealthy constituents. The confederate flag is a symbol of that. And even though time has passed, people are really not getting any closer to confronting the less savory aspects of its history, so to people familiar with the way the flag is handled in the south it also kind of screams- 'willfully ignorany and unapologetic about it.'

My advice, Get the flag in the original yellow if 'don't tred on me' is a message you feel strongly about sending.

Confederate Flag With Snake

I am going to guess that when you write "the Confederate Flag" you mean a certain battle flag which was used by the Confederacy either a naval jack or an Army of Tennessee battle flag; possibly an Army of Northern Virginia flag.

You can see them and other Confederate flags here

http://txscv.tripod.com/csa.htm

I don't find the flag offensive. Are flying it with the intent of offending someone? The conservative political correctness rage which has gripped the country since the 1980s has tried to make people think that it is offensive, but I detect sinister forces behind that movement.

You might find THIS interesting- although I cannot vouch for the veracity of the article

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/FLAG/confederatef...

I pledge allegiance to the Confederate Flag, not the 50 star one. The Confederate Flag is the true American Flag. We southerners did not break away from America, we just simply moved the nation's capital down south and kicked out the northern libtards.

• Steve

I see people flying flags of other countries all the time. Mostly Puerto Rican in the Northeast. Some Canadian, saw a couple Irish ones in Feb. German one at a business near town.

If you live down South they are probably popular, not around libs or blacks. They hate Southerners.

• Murzy

some people might consider that flag offensive

• Sam

No it's not keep your flag.

• willie

i don't. who cares what other people think. this is America. fly the flag you want to. stop worrying about other people.

• DM

It is certainly a statement. Be prepared to answer questions or live with assumptions about who you are.

Being offended has become the new past-time for many - - thin skinned, constantly complaining, wanting everyone to bend to what they think is proper; it's gotten out of hand. If people don't like it - they don't have to look at it Simple.