promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Taking pictures of naked people at a nude beach? If on public property?

Let's say you visit a clothing optional beach, which is on public property, would it be legal to take pictures of naked complete strangers without their permission (including women)? I am curious because you hear about how in many parts of the United States there's the saying "no reasonable expectation of privacy on public property".

Let's say the beach is known as an "unofficial clothing optional beach", technically nudity on public beaches in that particular U.S. state is illegal, but since it's far off the beaten path the police turn a blind eye toward nudity there and most people there happen to be nude? Let's say that you visit there, being one of the few with clothes on, and pull out your camera and start snapping away at all the women?

Also my second question, what if you were to be more sneaky about snapping away, would that affect the legality of it? For example, let's say someone has a right angle mirror attachment for their camera, and they can make it look like they're pointing their camera in a different direction or even towards the ground, but they're really taking pictures of a certain nude individual (remember, it would still be on public property)?

My third question, if you don't mind me asking, what if that individual were to post these pictures online of people at a nude beach, without their permission? (if the pictures were taken while on public property)

Update:

Because "ignorance of the law" is no excuse, I thought it's always good to find out how the law works? Doing what a "reasonable and prudent person" who wants to follow the law would say you should ask.

Update 2:

Badge203, it's actually on the land of a "State Park"

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First, be ABSOLUTELY certain the beach is actually public property. Just because you walk along a public beach and see the nude beach, that doesn't necessarily mean it is NOT private property. Boundaries are not always well marked.

Next, laws vary, so naming the state would help.

As general discussion, with the understanding I am NOT an attorney, and this is NOT legal advice:

It is generally legal to photograph anything that you can see with the unaided eye in a public space where you are legally present. What you do with the photos is a separate issue. ANY form of publication could get you in trouble, especially when nudity is involved.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Twenty or thirty years ago you may have found women on these beaches, but because of photography and the Internet they shy away now. So you're probably only going to find naked men.

• crnd
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Completely legal. No different than taking a picture on a public street. Creepy, yes, good taste, no, but legal, absolutely.

• 7 years ago

Nude beaches are not on public property they are private clubs that own the portion of beach that the nudist go to

It is private property and you would be arrested for trespassing

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Let's say someone sees you, breaks your camera and beats the shizzizzle out of you.

Are you going to the cops as a voyuer or a pervert?

Source(s): I just know these things
  • 7 years ago

STOP!

DO NOT SNAP CANDID PHOTOGRAPHS OF NUDISTS. PEOPLE ARE USUALLY NOT AS WELL HIDDEN AS THEY'D LIKE TO THINK THEY ARE!

STOP!

DO NOT NOT PHOTOGRAPH RANDOM WOMEN ON THE STREET PUBLIC PROPERTY OR NOT. ANGRY BOYFRIENDS WILL LIKELY CHASE YOU!

STOP!

DO NOT CONTINUE THIS COURSE OF THOUGHT. YOU DO NOT WANT TO THINK THAT YOUR WHOLE LIFE HAS AMOUNTED TO BEING A WILEY PERVERT!

STOP!

DO NOT WAVE YOUR PHOTOGRAPHS IN FRONT OF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS. THEY WILL ARREST YOU FOR INDECENT EXPOSURE!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.