did one sell coca cola bottles for money and mow grass in the summer when younger?

that and a paper route was the only source of income outside of family

i did all 3 but as a small kid i couldn't make some of the people pay so that and getting my mom up early on sunday as that was the largest route day and couldn't carry all of them so she would have to drive me on sunday kinda put and end to the paper boy carreer but i did well with the coke bottles and grass cutting and believe me 5 or 10 dollars would buy a lot back then.

Best Answer

Yup - cut grass in summer, shoveled snow in winter, delivered papers all year. Probably why I moved to a condo in Florida so I don't have to look at snow or grass.

How's this for a concept: looked to shovel snow for a few bucks, but first did it for the elderly neighbors and didn't expect anything for it. Got my first house when I was 30 - - - stayed in Ohio until I was 65, and never once saw a kid shoveling snow, let alone ask if I needed help.

When I was around 8 or so, I started mowing lawns and shoveling snow. I collected pop bottles for money. Wasn't it 2 cents a bottle? When I was 12 or so, I got a paper route. It was a big route on a steep hill. Custom at the time, was to buy a route from the previous carrier. No one wanted this route. And my parents didn't help! Sundays required 2 or 3 trips. A couple of years later, I started working at a service station/garage, in addition to my paper route. I learned to work for what I got. I learned to budget time. I learned how to run a retail business. I learned to pay myself first!!.

To me finding Coke bottles was like finding dollar bills. I raked leaves and shoveled sidewalks in the neighborhood.

The worse job was going to get groceries for a woman down the street and I usually got a quarter for an afternoons work. Most of the time was spent going over her shopping list and matching coupons and receipt before and after I went. Not a penny could be off and if an item was not in stock I had to call with all of the options including price, brand, and can size or quantity. I often had to make a return because of a mistake in advertising or she just changed her mind. I would have preferred to be chipping ice off someones steps.

• RB

Hi Mr. KGD,

We used to make money for the Boy Scouts selling pop bottles. I think we got 1 cent each. I lived in the country, so no paper route. I did mow for people, but as a service. I still mow my neighbors' lawns.

Being on a farm I did walk beans (cut weeds out of them) and helped bail hay. I got $1.00 for hay a day running a tractor to help pull it into the barn, and later the big $$, was bean walking. I would do several fields a day for different farmers. I would get $1.00 per hour, so that was $12.00 per day, and that went on for several weeks. We would earn $200 in a summer easily. Very good $$ then.

We returned coke bottles to the drug store - 2 cents for the small ones and 5 cents for the big ones. Also had the occasional lemonade or kool-ade stand. I used to help my brother with his paper route. Girls weren't allowed to have them then. And I wasn't strong enough to mow lawns. There weren't any babysitting jobs available either. One thing I used to do was play the contests on the radio in the summer. I would win a few dollars here and there doing that. You had to be the first caller when they announced the contest.

Mostly I babysat for 50¢ an hour, 75¢ after midnight. If I cleared $3.00, I was doing pretty good. At 14, I got a job at the Dairy Queen for 80¢ an hour, worked probably 12-14 hours a week until school let out, then probably 20-25. I saved enough for my first semester of college. If I spent any money at all, it was usually on record albums and I only bought the ones I KNEW I'd like.

Love your story! In our small town the guys my age did have paper routes. One I remember well, injured his leg when he had a bike accident, while it healed, the pain was constant. He was in our 9th or 10th grade diagnosed with cancer of the bone. Had a high amputation, kinda put a stop to his sports. He did well tho and when an adult after college became the anchor on what used to be a legitimate cable news station, Headline News. He had worked as a news caster on a local news station in Kansas City before he went to HLN.

He had a lot of grim determination! RIP, Don Harrison.

• Kai

Once when I was about 10, my parents rented a room about a block away from Hermosa Beach in Southern Calif. This was long before it got all built up. Lots of surfers there, We were 6 people (dad stayed home to continue to work, came out for the last 2 weeks we stayed) in a 1 room place, bathroom, kitchenette. After breakfast mom would shoo us older kids out of the place to spend the morning on the beach. After hunting for sandcrabs (don't know if that was their actual name, that's what we called them) and body surfing, we would haunt the beach picking up empty (and sometimes not empty) soda bottles to sell to the store to get pocket money for chips or candy. We never made a lot, just maybe a quarter but it was enough for us to get something and we'd share. My brother had a paper route but mom made all of us help him out so he wouldn't be out there delivering papers after school long into the night. His sector included a lot of highrise buildings and you had to run up the stairs leaving a paper in front of each apartment's door. Then after we'd finish, he'd take a dime and buy one large glazed donut and we'd share it. My younger brother got a job at a news stand but it didn't involved delivering papers (other than to the window of drive-up buyers). We all babysat. I also had a job in an office "bruning" (not sure that's how it was spelled, it was before photocopying, kind of like mimeographing but smelled heinous) pages of paper and removing and replacing updated to their Commerce Clearing House accounting law binders--boring as heck but it was a pay check. We'd shove snow for neighbors in winter, rake leaves in autumn, help with plantings in spring.

No - just the paper route and a part time job of sweeping at a store, washing a few windows and helping to restock. I carried all my own papers but in 3 loads. And found the store job by asking. BUT that was a very very long time ago.

• Baw

Yes. Collecting returnable bottles, mowing in the summer, shoveling snow in the winter, babysitting on the weekends and sometimes walking a neighborhood dog always kept me with enough change in my pockets to go skating and swimming and running down the ice cream truck. The ice cream truck had soft serve cones for 10 cents.