How do I get authority over my step kids?

He has two kids and I'm sorta the step parent. I was in charge of watching them in the car while he was getting food. They were beyond horrible little brats. They were screaming and everything.He told me if they were acting up to tell him and they would get a spanking when he gets back and not get their ice cream shacks. I can't believe he didn't do a damn thing when I told him how bad they were around me. I cant do anything cause they are not mine. I would be much more strict with them than he is. If they were my kids I wouldnt let them even talk. He asked the 6 year old if they were good and of course he said yes. WTF?! He believes a 6 year old over me?!!! I'm an adult and I can't believe he did this to me. They got their ice cream anyway!! I'm so freaking mad at him. WHY did he do this?!

Favorite Answer

Sorry but your man is causing a great deal of the problem. He should support you and let his kids know that you are a authority figure in their lives and that you have the power to discipline if they misbehave. Kids are observant and currently they see where there father believes them over you so they will continue to be rude and get away with it. Children will only do what you allow them to do, and he is allowing them to undermine your authority. You need to have a talk with him and let him know that yes they may not be your biological kids but they still have to respect you and that you need his support when dealing with them or they will walk all over all. So let him know that you want to co- parent not just be like a baby sitter suffering for a few hours with unruly kids. Once the kids see that he is taking you serious as an important authority figure they will start to settle down and give you that same respect.

No - As a step be sure to a now 15 3 hundred and sixty 5 days old and a now 11 3 hundred and sixty 5 days old. I even have never spanked them. The bond that exists between a organic and organic mom and dad and there toddlers isn't a similar for a step be sure. If we are talking some swat on the hand whilst grabbing for a burner on the range this is one ingredient. yet a disiplanary spanking is a foul concept. each and every time you bodily disipline a step new child some resentment will strengthen. I go away the self-discipline to my husband and my step childrens and that i've got a outstanding loving dating. Which we've had over 7 years.

You will NEVER have authority over them. You can however teach them how to act around you. Work on getting to know them better. What makes them tick, what makes them react. They obviously don't respect their father and you will not win between them. You may actually turn into the horrible step mom so take precaution and don't get stuck in the middle. Please make sure you want to spend time with these children, if you don't like his kids, you'll have a ton of drama to deal with in the future.

You just have to talk to him about how you feel, and be strict with the kids. Don't be mean to them, but don't be afraid to yell and whatnot. You just have to teach them to have respect for you or fear of you. I've been in this situation a lot. Hope this helps.

Time for you to bail out - if you are not happy with the way things are going. Don't expect it to get any better