Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Are Atheists excited now that the Pope says they can go to to heaven for good deeds?

I know I am! Unlike the copycat "Christian" wackos, the Catholics (original and only approved church by Jesus himself) says we atheists are now saved!

"Pope Francis rocked some religious and atheist minds today when he declared that everyone was redeemed through Jesus, including atheists."

During his homily at Wednesday Mass in Rome, Francis emphasized the importance of "doing good" as a principle that unites all humanity, and a "culture of encounter" to support peace.

Using scripture from the Gospel of Mark, Francis explained how upset Jesus' disciples were that someone outside their group was doing good, according to a report from Vatican Radio.

“They complain,” the Pope said in his homily, because they say, “If he is not one of us, he cannot do good. If he is not of our party, he cannot do good.” And Jesus corrects them: “Do not hinder him, he says, let him do good.” The disciples, Pope Francis explains, “were a little intolerant,” closed off by the idea of ​​possessing the truth, convinced that “those who do not have the truth, cannot do good.” “This was wrong . . . Jesus broadens the horizon.”

Favorite Answer

There ain't a heaven to go to.

Source(s): http://www.atheistmafia.com/?p=1587 Wrote that a couple of days ago.
  • This has always been Church teaching, but I think you might be overlooking the difference between redemption and salvation. Put simply, redemption allows for salvation. We've all been redeemed through Christ. We're saved, however, by our faith and our works. No man, within or without the Church, has authority to decide whether or not another man has been saved or not. That's been Church teaching since day one. "Let he without sin cast the first stone!" Frankie's homily was essentially about that, and I'm disappointed that Atheists never got the message before now. Moreso, I'm disappointed that so many Christians are too dense to understand what he meant. Regardless, peace be with you.

@ Julia - this was not a U-Turn. If it was, then it happened at Vatican II. Granted, there were varying opinions throughout history concerning whether or not SALVATION could be attained outside the Church -- Origen (184-254) even believed that ALL would eventually be saved; but Christ has always been held as the REDEEMER of all mankind. God bless.

The folks who tell the fire and brimstone story, damning people to hell unless they repent and accept Jesus are generally NOT Roman Catholics -- they are the more fundamentalist types. Most RCs I know have always believed I'd make it to Heaven even without embracing Jesus. I know there will be some diehard Catholics who will sputter and spew over those remarks, but it's good to see Francis is trying to put the Christ back in Christianity. It serves us all well to do that.

No. Its the distinctive move i might have taken in his role. He realises that religion is becoming a thing of the past and can proceed to scale back with time. This transfer opens up possibilities for the church to take excellent and noted philanthropists under it can be wing as they've done with many Catholics up to now and as much as the gift. Persons that are not Catholics include a damn quality bunch of people that are atheists as good as other varieties of Christians and Muslims, Jews, Hindus, and many others. This transfer opens up opportunities for the church to hold forth about them as well as its possess contributors and thus keep its hegemony because the arbitrators of what is excellent conduct to humanity.

The Pope is WRONG - I believe he's referring to Mark 9:38-40

38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us. 39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me. 40 For he that is not against us is on our part.

This is not revering to unbelievers doing good - it's referring to other believers who were casting out devils in Jesus name & the disciples thought this was wrong because they were not with them.

If a person does not repent and ask God to forgive them - become Born Again they will NOT enter heaven. The Pope needs to be saved :D

So how did the Pope find out that atheists can now go to heaven?

And if Popes can speak directly to God then why did he allow Benedict to be Pope even though he has been proven to have been hiding and defending paedophile priests?

What why haven't I heard about this? Are the Muslims deliberately hiding this story by their Woolwich murder and todays attempted aircraft hijack?

Presumably the Roman Catholics are all now pretending that the Roman Church never said anything different, like when they U turned on limbo

I'm not happy about being able to go to heaven, because I don't believe it exists to begin with.

However, it is nice to see the minds of such powerful religious leaders opening up.

Source(s): atheist

Not really...

If Christian mythology ends up being correct then that means the creator of our universe felt the need to sacrifice himself to himself to appease himself for a rule of the universe he made to govern everyone, but then negated through a loophole instead of just abolishing the idea.

Kinda silly if you ask me. Do I really want to spend eternity around an idiot like that?

Catholics are now universalists! Looking forward to seeing all my atheist and non-fundamentalist Christian friends up there.

We'll be avoiding the fundie trailer parks in heaven, though.

Jesus said that God's Kingdom is for all!

By doing good deeds one is following Christ!

Those Protestants were reminding me of the self righteous and condemning pharisees who killed Jesus but Jesus overpowers all evil and death and He is alive!

Source(s): Catholic