New employer and pre booked holiday?

Hi,

Recently got a job at a new company, however i have a prebooked holiday in 8 weeks.

My contract will be arriving shortly, however they have not asked (and i have not told them up to now) about the holiday booked. Should i email and advise her that i have one booked? Or will there be a form or something in with the contracts?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Cala
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

You really should have mentioned this at the interview. But also, they should have thought to ask.

You could wait until your contract arrives and see what it says, but a quick phone call should clear it. up. Many people have booked holidays by now, so it won't come as a surprise to your new employer and pre-booked holidays would normally be honoured.

The only time it would be a real issue would be if there are training courses etc that you need to attend.

Make sure the issue is resolved before you sign your contract.

• 7 years ago

More or less all companies will not give you any hassle regarding a holiday you had booked prior to starting with them.

You just need to give them as much notice as possible and it will be fine. 8 weeks is plenty of time for them to arrange cover. Most companies ask for a minimum of 2 weeks notice to book time off and that is when you already work there.

A pre-arranged holiday 8 weeks away will be completely fine. Don't worry about it. Just give them a call today and let them know.

• Had you mentioned it at the interview I think they would have honoured the holiday. However, Now they may not, It depends what kind of people they are really, However, They may be OK and allow you the holiday or allow you to take the time off unpaid, Or maybe they will say you have to find people willing to cover your shifts and you pay them back at a later date. Ring and see asap. They should have asked you at the interview really but then again, You should have said. As i said, if they don't honour it, You can probably find people willing to cover your shifts assuming this is possible or ask for it off unpaid, Not ideal i know but you'll have 8 weeks to put a bit aside to cover the loss of wages. Good luck and happy hols.

• Jan409
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

You need to let them know a.s.a.p.

holidays are requested,so you should have mentioned this at the interview

Also be prepared that you may have to cancel the holiday if they can't give you the time off

They may have a 'holiday request' form to complete,that's what happens where I work

You'll have to ask them

Source(s): uk
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Most companies will honour a pre-booked holiday.

• 7 years ago

it's not very often that they have a form for these sorts of things as part of a contract (not that i've come across anyway).

your best bet is to talk to your immediate manager regarding this issue.

sooner than later.

good luck!

• !
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Don't e-mail - ring and check if it's OK for you to take the holiday then confirm in writing (or by e-mail) so there is no scope for misunderstanding.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

They need to know asap to arrange cover for you. Also other staff might have booked the same period off. There is no guarantee they will give you the holiday. You should have said at interview.

UK

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.