Advice on how to protect my family from Burglars or kidnappers?

Okay little back round history. I live in a small town, that used to be great now it's mostly empty buildings and houses and Meth addicts, and meth labs. I live next to an abandoned lumber yard, and four empty delapitated houses, I only have one neighbor left. (when i moved in here several years okay it was a... show more Okay little back round history. I live in a small town, that used to be great now it's mostly empty buildings and houses and Meth addicts, and meth labs. I live next to an abandoned lumber yard, and four empty delapitated houses, I only have one neighbor left. (when i moved in here several years okay it was a nice little neighborhood with every house full.) A major factory which supported our community closed a few years ago and everybody was pretty much forced to move away to follow work. My whole family was forced to find different work, my husband luckily found work about 30 mins away and we'd love to move closer but hard to sell a house around here now. well back to the problem. we've been finding liquor bottles and syringes and needles inside our fenced in yard, and now have had to run off a man standing outside our 2 year old daughters room, he was watching in her window. we've reported all this to the cops and i ask them what should we do? how can we protect ourselves and all they tell us is well keep reporting this stuff and we have a record of it now. and we'll increase patrols in your area for a few days. UGH if my daughter gets kidnapped or we're killed in a home invasion how is that fact that they've wrote down my previous reports going to help us! we fenced in our yard we have a dog idk what else to do besides getting a security system that i'm not sure i could afford. and the police said "don't put anything that could hurt the perp or you'll be liable. i'm desperate what can i do.