promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Does England ever get catastrophic natural disasters?

I'm wondering because I'll be living there for the next 3 years - moving from New Zealand. In particular I am thinking earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, tornadoes etcetera.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Not really. The last person to die in England as the result of an earthquake died in around 1572, if I remember correctly, when a church tower collapsed on him. The biggest earthquakes we get are around 3 or 4 on the Richter scale. We've not had any active volcanoes here for tens of millions of years - the nearest ones are in Iceland and Italy, though we can be affected by volcanic gas clouds.

Tornadoes, actually yes, for our land area we actually get more tornadoes than anywhere else in the world, even "Tornado Alley" in the US, it's just that they're usually very small and of short duration - the most destructive tornado here in my lifetime was about 10 years ago, when a street in Birmingham was pretty badly torn up, but no-one was seriously hurt.

Tsunamis, well, we're an island so theoretically we could hit by one, but only two have been officially identified - a 21 metre tsunami which hit eastern Scotland in around 6100 BC as a result of an offshore slide off Norway, and a 3 metre tsunami which hit Cornwall as a result of the 1755 Lisbon earthquake. There are a few other possible candidates, one incident which affected the whole coast from Cumbria to Kent in September 1014; the Bristol Channel floods of January 1607, and the North Sea tsunami of 1858; but as you can see, we're clutching at straws here - it's almost certain that nothing will happen while you're here!

Ordinary weather incidents can be catastrophic sometimes - the North Sea Floods of 1953 killed over 300 people in southeast England (and around 2000 people in Holland), and are what led eventually to the building of the Thames flood barrier (and the much more substantial flood defences in the Netherlands).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • RR
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Nothing major.

There been earth tremors but hardly anybody notices.

We have no tsunamis.

We have no active volcanoes.

We have a lot of tornadoes but they are tiny. A few tiles get cracked.

Even the two "hurricanes" in the last 30 years were actually severe storms and incorrectly classed as hurricanes (because it sounded more exciting).

• 7 years ago

there are no active volcanoes anywhere near england and a tsunami "could" strike but it would be as unlikely as an asteroid landing on london. tornadoes have happened and there was a serious one in birmingham 8 years ago when people were injured and some buildings were badly damaged but no one was killed. in recent years however we have suffered from damaging floods that have killed people and caused massive disruption but nothing for at least 50 years on the level of "catastrophic" where you get dozens of people dying and towns destroyed etc.

• 7 years ago

Not really

In about 1984 there was a "severe storm" in the south of england that knocked over a couple of large beech trees by the house where I grew up, flattened 99% of a conifer plantation nearby, and took a couple of slates off the roof. I figure that was a 1-in-100 year event.

Otherwise, there can be quite bad flooding in some areas, usually rain-related.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Only very occasionally. We had hurricanes in southern England in 1987 and 1992 and an unusual heatwave in 2003 where the daytime temperatures were above 100 degrees farenheit for several months and many old and chronically ill people died. Earthquakes are occasional and very minor, rarely killing or injuring anyone

• 7 years ago

no not really, there's the occasional earthquake but they're nothing you can't sleep through and very rarely there are small hurricanes/tornadoes (not sure of the difference, sorry) but again they're very small scale, someone in Birmingham once had a small tornado in his garden, i believe and all it caused was some damage to the roof, that's it. so there shouldn't be anything to worry about :)

Source(s): resident of England for 17 years :)
  • 7 years ago

1 May 1997 Tony Blair

7 June 2001 Tony Blair

5 May 2005 Tony Blair/Gordon Brown

• robin
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

No, very,very rare,the worst thing is Rain, which can be heavy,and strong winds in the Spring.

• 7 years ago

Yes they are called "Nick Clegg"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.