Hanni asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 years ago

Why Americans (usa) are less likely to learn a foreign language?

When you think about it, most of the rest of the world can at least get along with their english just fine. I noticed this when Americans go visit another country, the ones I've seen didn't bother to at least try to speak an other language than their own. I don't know, it's kind or disrespectful to expect everyone to confirm to your language when it's not even your country.

• Way back in the 60's and early 70's... when I was visiting other countries.... I tried to learn some of the key phrases at least...... most every where I went someone spoke English... and where they did not... common courtesy usually made things work out regardless... had some hilarious times trying to be understood and those I met did as well.... when I spent the summer in Israel I was the only one among the "volunteers" from 18 different countries who only had one language.... needles to say I was the prime target for a lot of practical jokes.... ... only in France did I have any problem with the locals in regards to language..... everywhere else... just a lot of fun.....

many... a lot... of Americans never visit another country... except Canada or Mexico.... and almost never meet anyone who can not speak english......

Illegal immigration factors many issues that's for sure. That is an indisputable truth. Given your estimate of 20 million illegals let's proceed from there. Let's consider even 1/three of them are preserving jobs. That is almost 7 million folks within the team of workers. Contributing to the tax base etc. That may leave 7 million job vacancies. Would our nation be ready to control that many leaving the workforce? Usually not. Would american citizens step into these jobs for the pay provided? Traditionally no longer. Businesses backside line is profit. Would they lift wages to get americans to work these jobs? Most of the time not. Extra companies would begin to outsource. Thus leaving many americans out of jobs that now keep jobs. Our whole nation would collapse and the excellent depression would appear like a cakewalk. As I've said unlawful immigration is incorrect and desires to stop. However we also have to be sensible on deporting as you say 20 million people. Believe me...It's no longer going to happen for various factors. So we need to transfer forward and think of sensible methods to maintain the concern at hand and in addition insure the illegal predicament is stemmed sooner or later. Higher border security and visa programs have got to be taken care of first and primary so the drawback would not step by step worsen. Once the glide is stopped we can then work on what to do with those already here.

well for one thing the USA is a big place, and many of the places nearby, Canada, Bermuda many places in the Caribbean speak English, as for the rest of the world getting along in English it is true than many countries schools require English, there are people going on trips to other parts of the world, like Europe, several countries on one vacation, and it would be impossible to learn all of the languages just to take one trip, also many places in the US your language choices at school are limited to Spanish and French, with that being said we as Americans are lazy about learning a foreign language, but unlike many smaller countries we are not limited on book and movie choices in English

Because it's not necessary in the U.S. since the U.S. is a huge country and everybody speaks the same language. and people rarely leave the U.S. to live elsewhere. It's not like Europe, where every country is smaller and traveling between countries requires at least some knowledge of that language.

There is less need to as in Europe. Too bad though. Language is interesting.

English is the language that is spoken almost by everyone in the world and so it is easier and also convenient for them to communicate in their own mother tongue. It's normal! =)

If it is helpful, certainly will learn