KAR asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 8 years ago

Eating clean but not losing weight?

I've been eating clean for a while now and lost about 16lbs and did weight watchers before that so I've lost about 55lbs total and switched to eating clean when I reached a plateau on weight watchers. I'm eating very strictly monitoring my calorie intake using my fitness pal app and eating around 1200 calories of mostly veggies chicken fish 2 fruits a day brown rice once a week and oats in the morning with egg whites. I usually eat smaller meals too about 5 a day. I work out 5-6 days a week running lifting weights doing the elliptical yoga. I try to change up my workouts. By doing all this I've reached a point where I lose 1lb every 2 weeks. It's really discouraging. Any advice? Ill be satisfied with losing 1lb a week

• Shay

you did not mention what your current weight is and what your goal weight is. That could make a difference in the advice I am going to offer.

Here it is: Since you are eating so healthy AND working out regularly, you may actually be building good muscles. Muscles weigh more than fat, so you are probably still burning lots of fat, but you are replacing it with healthy muscle. It may be time to stop watching the scale and start watching a measuring tape. Take several measurements on your body, such as waist, hips, thighs, chest, upper arms, and neck. Write down these measurements and check them once every two weeks. If you are dropping fat and gaining muscle, these measurements should be going down slightly each time you measure as the muscles in your body tighten and tone.

So, watch your weight on the scale, but also watch your body measurements to see how much those are changing as well.

One more thing, I am not familiar with all the rules of the "eating clean" diet method, but be sure to drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine. Sometimes when diets fail, it is because of a lack of water or too much caffeine intake while still trying to diet.

• Orla C

You're very active. You do realise that all that activity is training muscles, and while not making them bigger, is making them more dense and therefore heavier? And that muscle actually weighs more than fat, so that if take a kilo of fat and a kilo of lean muscle, that fat will seem a lot compared to the meat?

That fact that you are still losing something is standing to you - fair play for keeping up your routine. I'll bet that your clothes are a lot looser now, despite the slowdown in weight loss. And I think you have actually lost quite of lot of weight as it is ... certainly a lot of excess fat.

I think you should keep doing what you are doing. So what if you aren't losing it faster - you're still losing, and that's what counts.

I think it is safer to loose one pound every two weeks. If you loose too much your body will get imbalanced. You have to just let time do its job and wait. I know it is not fun to wait, but sometimes we must. Plus if what you are doing isn't taking the weight off quickly, virtually nothing will. Keep it up!