My 12 yo son is being bullied. What are ways he can defend himself?

My son is 12 and is being bullied. I have always taught him to defend himself to strike back when hit and to never back down. That's how I was raised and its always worked for me and up to now him too. My problem is that I'm a girl so there are no 'exceptions' to that rule. I'm in unfamiliar... show more My son is 12 and is being bullied. I have always taught him to defend himself to strike back when hit and to never back down. That's how I was raised and its always worked for me and up to now him too. My problem is that I'm a girl so there are no 'exceptions' to that rule. I'm in unfamiliar territory because the bully is a girl and hitting a girl is never okay. He's spoken to his teacher and aids but she doesn't stop. I've brought it up but the school says "He seems to get along well with everyone. I haven't noticed any bullying." But smart bullies don't get noticed. She's also the daughter of one of the teachers and granddaughter of an administrator's assistant as well as the niece of an office staff member (Yeah its THAT type of area/school). He's at his wits end and so am I but neither one of us have been able to solve the issue. If she was a boy I'd say "Next time he hits you knock him on his butt, it only takes one time." But I'm at a loss. Any ideas?
Update: I've told him to be a smart a** to her. He's shut down her ridicule with his own verbal blows. That stuff is easy, it doesn't bother him. Maybe "Bully" is the wrong word because he's self assured, confident, well adjusted and she hasn't diminished any of that. The main problem is that... show more I've told him to be a smart a** to her. He's shut down her ridicule with his own verbal blows. That stuff is easy, it doesn't bother him. Maybe "Bully" is the wrong word because he's self assured, confident, well adjusted and she hasn't diminished any of that. The main problem is that she physically hurts him and since she's a girl he can't physically defend himself. She's left bruises and if he was a boy my son (with my permission) would have hit her back and put up a fight. That usually ends physical stuff. Kids fight its normal natural and in my opinion a good thing. But what do you do when fighting back isn't an option?