Need ssi but no insurance?

i have trouble walking standing and bending at times due to a previous injury i have a cyst in my arm that often hurts and a chip in my back previously diagnois when i was younger. i have not been able to find a decent job due to me not being able to lift bend alot or stand for long periods of time i would like to apply for disability but i have not seen a doctor recently because i have no insurance if i apply can they have one of their doctors examine me or will i not make it that far into the process because i havent had a doctor recently diagnois me

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

Well of course if you aren't working and earning $1040 a month social security has no option but to take a claim from you if you insist upon filing but you are not severely disabled and your claim will not be approved. There is absolutely no reason why you can't take classes to get the skills needed to do desk work. You can get a referral from a doctor to Vocational Rehabilitation for evaluation and training - it's listed under State government.

The definition of disability is that a person has a mental or physical impairment so severe that they are incapable of working and earning at least $1040 a month in ANY type of employment (which includes desk work) and the severity is expected to last at least 12 months or end in death. You do not meet this requirement.

Source(s): I was a social security claims rep for 32 years.
  • Lynn

Sounds like you need a desk job, not SSI. There was only one desk job I had that required lifting too, and only because I was the one that had to get packages ready for the UPS guy. (Someone else packed, but I had to see where they were going, so had to push packages off other packages to read the labels and write them up in the book. When I hurt my wrist for a few weeks, one of the guys working in the factory helped me out.) So, here are a list of jobs I've had that didn't require a lot of standing, lifting or bending:

--counseling (at a drug rehab, runaway shelter, and group home parent)

--telemarketing and surveys over the phone

--basic office work (for a telemarketing company, for an advertising company, and then he let me do some copy-writing, so I gained that skill too)

--assistant manager/bookkeeper/manager for property management companies

--bookkeeper/receptionist/phone answerer/package shipper (skip that last part in your case) for a lighting and electrical outlet factory)

--resume writing/typing/desktop publishing for my own company.

There's still plenty you can do. You're merely stuck at an office job, which sounds like you don't like, but if you can work, you do work.

• If you have no proof of disability, you can't get SSI. So you are going to need to find some medical records of some sort. They will help you get current medical updates if they take your case seriously.