What would be a good recreational handgun?

I understand that it may not bee practical, but i kinda want a cannon to shoot now and then. I was thinking of a contender in .480 ruger or a super redhawk .454, but i kinda like the 460 V or maybe XVR. i like these because they can shoot .454's and .45 colts when i don't put .460's in it. I don't really want a 500 mag because the ammo is so hard to find. I was thinking also about a Desert Eagle in .44 mag, but i heard the hot casing can be ejected straight up and come back down and burn you, but i don't know. I just want one to go shoot with some friends of mine on the weekends some time, so i'm open to suggestions.

Favorite Answer

if you load your own, 500 has crazy possibilities, especially if you get into sabot projectiles! you can literally hunt rabbit to bear in one gun, which is to say, 9mm to 300 win mag.

if you like to stick with factory, S&W 460 or a T/C 460 magnum due to ability to shoot 454, 45 colt and .410 shot (kind of)

if yo just want the biggest cannon you can buy, Serbu Super Shorty (NFA AOW, 12 gauge) or Pedersoli Howdah (muzzleloader, 20 gauge, double barrel)

desert eagles are stupid. have you ever handled one? it's like holding a brick. I can't even wrap my hand around the grip! I prefer the S&W 500 Mag over a Desert Eagle. Desert Eagle is just too heavy, too big, too impractical.

other fun guns...

Intratec Tec-series 9mm semiautomatics: this gun has really no purpose besides to scare liberals and waste ammo (and sometimes jam alot)

Mac 0, Mac 11: 45acp, 9mm and 380 semiautomatic machine pistol styled semiautomatics

Uzi: available in pistol or carbine. purely fun gun

PPS-43: 7.62x25mm semi auto pistol. low recoil, cheap ammo (when available), accurate & flat shooting

Kel Tec PLR-16: 5.56 semi auto AR-style pistol without the big thing sticking out back

AR-15 in 50 Beowulf: nice power, similar to 50 AE, 445 Maximum or a reduced recoil 500 S&W Mag

AR-15 belt fed pistol (build): purely for fun

I live and hunt Alaska - a place were big revolvers are an everyday thing.

You will not like shooting the 480 Ruger, 460, 454 and similar revolvers that are 3-5 times stronger than the 44mag. I own a pair of 480 Ruger Super Redhawks the wife and I carry for bear protection. At the range - after 6-10 rounds you are no longer having fun.

Unless you reload/handload and cast bullets - you will never be spending long afternoons at the range firing box after box of ammo. I do cast bullets and relaod - and I make some sweet lower power loads that are just tons and tons of fun to fire!

The problem with these bigger revolver cartridges - not many companies make regular cast bullets for the reloader to build target ammo - and worse - target ammo is never on the store shelf.

If you do not reload - your best bet is a nice 357mag revolver that will let you use 38 Special target loads - these are not uncommon to find on store shelves. The extra weight and heft of the 357 revolver will also be a help to reduce felt recoil. If recoil is something you kinda like - move up to the 44mag.

If you decide to go bigger - then you should consider the 480 Ruger which is hands down the most liked caliber for a big revolver in Alaska. Why? Because the average person can easily fire all 6 rounds and hit the target in the black center............ those other hand cannons - 454, 460 and 500 - the average shooter might get 1 round on target and the rest are misses. Or they will get 1 round in the black, one round that is on the paper in the 5 ring - and the rest are all misses. This is because the recoil is very painful - and the more you shoot the worse it gets. Most adults can master the 480 Ruger and get all 6 shots in the black....... it's usually not until the second re-load that the pain starts to cause the rounds to go wild.

Big revolvers - are something you need to absolutly get trigger time on before buying.

If you really want to own the biggest and best hand cannon - then you want to buy 475 Lindbaugh. It shoots the horrifically heavy 475 Lindbaugh ammo - and - can also fire the 480 Ruger as 'light loads' lol.

Me - I cast 400gr gas check lead bullets for my 480 Ruger. Even with the light loads - it is still a lot of power - you still see huge chunks of dirt fly from the backstop!

If you bought a 480 Ruger, an inexpensive pistol reloading kit, and the bullet mould, handles, furnace and Lee sizer die - you would be in big revolver heaven. You would be able to make very fun, along with very powerful, pistol ammo for under $3 a box of 50. I didnt used to shoot my 480 Ruger much at all when all we had were factory ammo in the house...... but once I geared up and started making the lead projectiles - I was shocked how just over the top fun that big pistol was to shoot with normal recoil rounds. A set up like this will provide decades of future fun....... and with just a pound of common powder, a few boxes of primers and some scrap lead - you can shoot for years and never have to worry about an ammo shortage.

None of the guns you list are really considered recreational handguns. As a first handgun none would be a very good choice, unless you have an immediate need for something that you can use for defense against large and dangerous game. If you are not an experienced handgun shooter, any of the big bore magnums would be detrimental to learning to shoot properly, because not only are you not going to want to shoot them a lot, but you can also learn bad habits from shooting them the recoil, muzzle flash, and report of the factory ammo that is available would make it really easy to develop a serious flinch.

Glacierwolf's .357 magnum suggestion is an excellent one for the reasons that he as already given, and because it would make a great choice for self defense. If the .357 doesn't satisfy you in terms of power, after you have gained the necessary skills you can move up to a .44 magnum or larger handgun. That progression would be the most sensible way to learn.

• gene

If you are shooting for recreation, pick a .44 Mag. I seriously doubt if Hercules could handle the recoil of a 454 or 460 well enough to actually enjoy firing more that a half dozen rounds or so. Not very recreating from my perspective.

Source(s): 40+ years of hunting and shooting.

The High Standard .22 LR duramax used to be THE recreational pistol. Now its probably the Ruger Mark III whicj you can find the cheapest for under $350. Everyone has at least one .22 to just dink around.

What would be cool, maybe is The Judge by Taurus (not legal in CA). It shoots the .45 [long] Colt, and just for fun its chambered for the .410 shotgun. I suppose busting out a few rifled slugs could be fun recreation and lots cheaper than .454 Casul. and much easier to find.

a good recreational handgun, to me, would be something like an old S&W model 10 heavy barrel, usually can be found for about $250. a .44 mag is fun, and ammo still able to be found. people who have calibers like .460, .480, .500 usually reload to avoid the cost

• WRG

A .480 Ruger or .454 is only recreational if you like to shoot very little at at time. The damn things will beat a big man to death. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with those calibers if you are using them for what they are meant for, hunting big animals. They aren't built for plinking.

• mikey

Shooting ANY magnum handgun could hardly be called recreational - ammo is expensive & recoil is punishing after 5 or 6 shots.

A revolver in 22LR is the best bet for rec shooting.

Source(s): NRA Endowment Life member.

I think you should stay with the Contender and get one of the models where you can change out the barrel to get into different calibers. I've almost bought one of these in .45 Colt, just for the heck of it, about a dozen times.

Thinkingblade

the .44 Magnum is probably the best to get just to shoot for fun on the weekends because of lighter recoil and much lower ammo costs.