Which country has sensible gun control laws?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Dan
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

@Daniel

Yup, the number of people in the U.S. killed every year by gun-related homicide is somewhere in the neighborhood of 11,000.

The number of self-defense uses of firearms in the U.S. is on the very lowest end estimated at about 100,000. Most estimates place it in the 800,000 range (and SOME estimates indicate there are over 2 million self-defense uses with firearms a year).

So, in the WORST case, they're used to defend oneself about 10x more than they're used to kill somebody.

Also, violent crime rate in the UK and Australia has shot up since gun confiscation, right? Both countries' violent crime rates significantly surpass the U.S. Granted, it's not as much gun-related as it is knife-related and other types of weapons, but as a law-abiding citizen and military reserve officer - I'd just as soon I be able to own my own handgun to defend myself and my loved ones in a break-in than be victimized by a violent criminal who has a higher probability of having a knife now.

Additionally, if you take out the high-density urban areas from the mix, the U.S. gun homicide rate goes down drastically (no one's surprised there, I assume). Weird, how the societal problem of gang violence is the REAL indicator of gun violence, and not the usage or ownership by law-abiding citizens.

But hey, because guns can accidentally kill people (even if it IS to a lesser degree than falls, drownings, burns, an car accidents), who cares HOW many times more people they protect every single day? What makes me feel safe is knowing that more victims at least won't have access to firearms - the REAL scourge of society.

To make an attempt at answering the question, the U.S. OVERALL actually has fairly sensible gun control laws. Since the founding concepts of liberty are still hanging on by at least a thread, in most areas, law-abiding citizens can own firearms. Instant background checks, which are required in every store purchase and the majority of gun show purchases (despite common perception), help ensure that the buyer has no former criminal activity on his or her record. It is completely illegal for a criminal or mentally incompetent person to purchase a firearm. Unfortunately, though the legal framework exists, oftentimes the justice system allows criminals who illegally purchase weapons to be released relatively leniently, allowing for more gun crime than would otherwise occur under our laws.

Some states don't have sensible gun control laws, where normal citizens have an extraordinarily difficult and burdensome time owning firearms. Some cities essentially, for all practical purposes, restrict law-abiding citizens from possessing firearms. These cities are usually indicated by their significantly higher-than-average crime rates.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Mutt
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Define "sensible".

I think the US has very sensible gun control laws. All they need to do is enforce the laws.

A gun is nothing more than a tool, just like a hammer, baseball bat, tire iron, or kitchen knife. In the hands of responsible, law abiding citizens (which is about 99.9% of gun owners), it is a very effective tool for defending yourself and your family from harm. But, unlike all the other tools out there, people jump on the guns as a problem when the 0.1% of gun owners are irresponsible, whether this is leaving them out where kids can get a hold of them, or using them for a mass shooting somewhere (which if you ever notice, is rarely done anywhere but a "gun-free zone").

If someone was to take a baseball bat to an elementary school and start bashing the heads of 1st graders, people will talk about what is wrong with that person, and to help other like him get the treatment they need to prevent such tragedy. But if he goes in with a gun and shoots the kids instead, it's the guns that are to blame, and people want to ban guns to keep this from happening again.

*EDIT* - Ignore Daniel. He thinks that the government will protect you from all the bad guys out there, and if you call "time out" the bad guys have to stop and wait for the police to show up.

• 7 years ago

I can solve most of the gun violence in every major city, If i was given the power.Roll out the national guard and wipe out all gangs.No jail, no mercey, under the new homeland security rules they can be considered. terrorists.All gangs. white ,chicano,black, asian.Take about 1 year to do.let the families pick up the bodies.Cold yes, problem sovled , yes. Country would thank me. about one year later after all the **** settled.Live by the sword, die by the sword.

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The US has sensible laws most places.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • pammu
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

All the democratic countries. Its not the sensible country but sensible people who follow the laws enacted for the purpose. No law works for criminals and criminals are there in every country.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

The United Kingdom I believe

• 7 years ago

US unless our government gets involved in more gun running exercises.

• 7 years ago

Texas if your Wile E. Coyote. He would never pass a background check, god bless texas.

• 7 years ago

Uzbekistan.

• The U.S.A. did, until the anti-American forces took over the courts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.