Andy asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 7 years ago

Can I have a solar battery charger hooked up to a battery at the same time as an inverter that is in use?

If I have a car battery, a solar battery charger, and an inverter, can I have them all hooked up at the same time to get very long lasting electricity, assuming of course that the item plugged into the inverter isn't drawing more than what the charger provides?

I'm thinking remote location set up for a time lapse camera using camera's DC in line, hooked to the inverter, hooked to the battery, which is in turn hooked to the solar panel for long lasting power so I can get several weeks of photos.

Favorite Answer

that'll never work, because the inverter will drain the batter faster than the cells can charge it.

the invert by itself unloaded needs enough power to drive its ICs and generate 120 volts.

typical car battery, 12 volts times 500 cold crank amps = 6000 watts

inverter: 120 volts, 5 amps = 600 watts

typical 12 volt solar cell - 10 amps = 120 watts

• Bob S

It's going to depend on how much load the camera draws and how much current you will get from the solar battery charger but most likely it should work fine. Is there a way of connecting the camera directly to the 12VDC car battery instead of using an inverter to convert the 12VDC to AC and then using the camera's charger to convert it back to DC? That would greatly increase the efficiency of your set-up.

Source(s): Electrical Engineer

There's nothing to preclude drawing from a battery whilst it can be being charged, but when the burden exceeds the charge fee the battery will likely be depleted. Be told that the the battery's charging voltage will exceed it's nominal voltage. Check that this is inside the inverter's input limit. The "digicam's DC in line, hooked to the inverter" escapes me.

• keerok

Won't work.

Get an AC adapter for your camera and plug it to a small generator. You can also charge extra batteries while you're shooting or if you really must keep you camera on for a week (I'm thinking fried digital sensor here), bring a barrel of gasoline so you can keep refilling your generator's tank when it gets low.

will the camera need to be on all the time? if not you can work out the times when it needs to be on and get a timer to switch over to the charger some times have this facility .

1

Source(s): Guide To Solar Power - http://SolarPower.siopu.com/?Oyg