Why is television so terrible these days?

I remember a time when television was thought provoking, made sense, and had real plot and depth. These days I see shows like The Big Bang Theory that, for lack of a better word, is insulting. It, like many shows (i.e. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, any "reality" show, any singing or dancing show, 30 Rock, Two and a Half Men, How I met your mother), are about as low brow as you can get. There is no humor except for sex puns or outlandish stereotypes. There is no humor that makes the viewer think. CSI, NCIS, Law and Order are about the only shows left that offer intelligence. Even the History channel has dropped almost all of it's shows in favor of so called "reality shows" that don't offer anything but pseudo-drama. I even believe that all reality shows are scripted anyway. The only one I can't say is scripted is Deadliest Catch. You can't script a 40ft wave.

Still, it seems that more and more television is being lowered to an almost kindergarten level. My brother watches X-Factor and other such shows and I don't get the appeal of them. People making fools of themselves is entertainment? Survivor is nothing more than people performing idiotic challenges. Where's the REAL survival in the show?

Is it just me or are there others out there that think the same?

• Favorite Answer

Television is not terrible. Sure it's dilluted by endless reality crap and crummy comedies, but there have been endless brilliant shows over the past few years;

Doctor Who

Torchwood

Being Human

Merlin

Primeval

In The Flesh

Utopia

Vicious

Black Mirror

10 O'Clock Live

Broadchurch

Red Dwarf

Way To Go

The Inbetweeners

Whitechapel

Sherlock

Four Rooms

QI

An Idiot Abroad

Have I Got News For You

Fresh Meat

Mrs Browns Boys

Not Going Out

The Thick Of It

Peep Show

That Mitchell and Webb Look

Elementary

Community

Parks and Recreation

Dallas

Game of Thrones

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Homeland

Modern Family

Broadwalk Empire

Revolution

Falling Skies

V

The Walking Dead

And countless others.