Glinda
Glinda asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 7 years ago

Have social constructs relaxed for little girls, but not for little boys?

When little girls take sports, even football, no one calls them lesbians. They can also wear any color clothing they want, including blue and black.

If little boys take ballet, or wear certain colors (pink or lavender), they are called names.

Do you think this will ever change so that boys can be more free to express themselves?

Favorite Answer

I was thinking about this the other day. When a little girl wants to join the baseball or football team, aside from a few jackballs, she’s generally met with praise. Good for her for breaking down the gender barriers. She’s going to show them that girls are tough, too. And by all means, good for her. If she can play, let her.

If a little boy eschews joining the football team and instead spends time designing shoes or his own clothes, even if his work is original, creative and technically proficient he’ll be called an array of names that can’t be repeated her and treated with scorn by men and women alike. It’s really pretty pathetic.

I think that trend while still extant is changing though. As modern society slowly, but painfully begins outgrowing its religious superstitions - the primary foundation for traditional roles - we will see a greater emphasis placed upon individual freedom and choice. If I had to guess, by the time I’m 50 such things mentioned here won’t be that big of a deal.

Uhm, what world are you living in? I've played sports most of my life and get called a lesbian for it all of the time, even when I was kid. Most of the girls I played sports with got called lesbians too, and we can't ALL be lesbians.

Things will eventually change and boys and girls can do whatever they want and be free to express themselves.

• DM

Boys wear pink wear we live. It's just a shirt or boots for cryin out loud.

If our son wants to take ballet we will let him. He did do Introduction to Dance when he was four. Hilariously cute.

He also takes karate, plays boy related games and likes a good tussle now and again.

Games and colours aren't gonna mess any kid up. That's all marketing and media started back in the 1950's.

Social constructs have always been pretty relaxed for girls. Girls can be 'tom boys' and it's perfectly fine. They can wear men's clothing and not be ridiculed. Not the same for boys and men. If a boy wears a dress, he's humiliated. Feminists talk about letting girls play with 'masculine' toys and even letting boys play with feminine toys, and even letting their little girl wear boys clothing. But they would probably never let their sons grow their hair out and braid it. They'd never let them leave the house with a dress on.

I think that maybe in the future it will change but certainly not anytime soon. Human beings are really lazy and one of the best things we're good at is grouping people into a box and pretending we understand them(pun intended). Give it some time and do your best to set an example to others. Hopefully it'll change.

First of all women are not being encouraged to be gay like men are. Almost all of the examples of gays in the media are men as if lesbians don't exist. So its different for men and women. Women are being encouraged to take on masculine roles and thus hold more power in society. Men on the other hand are encouraged to be gay this is a big difference. Most men have no desire to become more feminine and wear pink dresses. Despite the media's agenda being gay is still rare and abnormal, an exception to the rule and not the norm. Only women have this obsession with trying to be more and more masculine it seems women hate themselves. Most men do not want to express themselves in any such way and thus its a stupid concept. We never wanted any such freedom, we never asked for it. Its just a stupid pointless agenda by feminists who are mostly butch women who hate femininity pushing their odd opinions on society who assume we all share their warped perspective. Men actually enjoy being men. You women are brainwashed by feminist crap.

• Good question. You may be right, and certainly boys are called names when they do ballet and stuff.

My great niece plays soccer/football, and is very good at it - not an eyebrow was raised in the entire family when she did that. Her great uncle (blushes) encouraged her to become a coach and maybe be Australia's first big-time lady soccer coach....

I didn't encourage any of my nephews or great nephews to put on tutus, though....

Mea Culpa...... ya got me, ya clean good witch....I'm definitely melting....

• Ryou

lol, I doubt most men would want their boys taking ballet or wearing dresses or whatever. Even if they did, I wouldn't be surprised if it were grudgingly.

Most men have something like Jeffery's attitude, though more specifically for boys. Don't want them to grow up not being a carbon copy of them or not having stereotypical masculine qualities and behaviors instilled in them.

• Bub

I think it will change but I'm not sure in what way. I don't think most women or men really want to give males that kind of freedom. There is no economic benefit to it. There was a huge economic benefit to women's lib. The world is becoming more liberal, but I really strongly doubt that it will ever allow boys to want to do girly things.

I have to agree with one user. Kids are too soft. And I blame parents. We have went away with spanking so if a kid gets called a name or bullied they go tell the school or their parents. Instead of verbally handling and learning to get along with people and handling their own tough situations. It just teaches them that "you will never get made fun of nor should you".

So no it wont change it will get worse. Until kids dress in what they want and learn how to take a verbal abuse and get one. I got bullied in school. Well they tried. I knew how to defend myself verbally and physically. Kids rather go home and cry to their mother.

My ex tries to raise my son like that. But I wont let her. You can't pout, cry, throw tantrums around the house constantly cause somebody poured mustard on your plate instead of ketchup. Thats where it starts at. Parents not raising their kids to where they either eat whats on their plate, or go to bed.

It doesn't seem like it correlates to colors and society social constrcutions but it does. Look at womens movement and civil rights movement. Look what it took to change those views. A lot of standing up, (violence in some cases) and a lot of people sticking up for what they believe.

Little young girls stand up for what they believe. Those girls who played football or wrestled stood up for what they believed in AND THEIR PARENTS SUPPORTED THEM.

It all starts with the parents