Why is there such a big difference between the British and Indian criminal code?

This is inspired by TJ's question earlier today. I didn't understand why petitioners were needed to induce a proper police investigation that would actually result in adequate punishment. I did some reading around the subject and basically, at the moment, the alleged criminals can only be charged with... show more This is inspired by TJ's question earlier today. I didn't understand why petitioners were needed to induce a proper police investigation that would actually result in adequate punishment. I did some reading around the subject and basically, at the moment, the alleged criminals can only be charged with breach of trust which is a relative misdemeanor.

In the UK match/spot fixing are criminal offences punishable with prison terms. The Pakistani culprits were sentenced after being found guilty of conspiracy to cheat, conspiracy to accept corrupt payments and conspiracy to defraud. Why does the Indian legal system not consider these crimes serious enough to pass out prison terms? Is the UK too strict with their treatment of fixers or is India too lenient?
Update: Rohan Paul: This is hardly a new form of crime in India. The likes of Azharuddin, Prabhakar and Jadeja were amongst the first to be caught fixing.
Update 2: Yes: Please can you provide the source citing that the players are being charged under that offense? I must have missed that one.