promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why do American people call football "soccer"?

Wouldn't it make more sense if they called American football "soccer" instead? That would make so much more sense. I think all those cheese burgers have confused them a bit :///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

21 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

The English who originally coined the term Soccer, a slang for Association Football. Canadians, Australians, New Zealand and South Africans also call it that. There is a sport already called Football so why confuse people. It's the same sport does it really matter. Finally I think i would make sense not to use stereotypes when talking about people. It's the beautiful game, don't argue about the name.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

Americans are dumb.

They don't have lorries, a bonnet is a hat for children, they don't have a king or queen, a boot is a type of foot covering, they don't have water closets, and when the worlds most popular game started to be played there, they called it soccer because the name football had already been taken.

And someday they will get FIFA changed to FISA.

• mh5 years agoReport

Perhaps the Revolutionary War is still a "foot to the balls" for ya? And not only is a monarchy a very progressive idea, it's also historically proven to work! (Especially if the US ever needs to go to the English to save us from Germany!) So thanks Nit-Wit! I mean, Brit-wit!

• 7 years ago

There are several versions of football. Most of them involve using the hands. But no one ever gives a hard time to the Irish, the Australians or the Canadians who all have a sport they call football. In the case of Canada, it's almost exactly like US Football. So for historical reasons, we call it soccer.

But I like calling it soccer. Mostly because it pisses off the English.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

I just now saw this, and it is extremely insulting to have people who probably have never even been to america, bash the country and call american citizens dumb and uneducated. It wasn't that so much as for someone to say that we don't even know how many states are in our own country. What do you think we learn in school?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Play a game where we carry an egg shaped thing in your hands and rarely use your feet let's call it football; and that other game that everybody else calls football in which you kick a ball with your feet let's call soccer.

They don't use the metric system, you can have a gun before you can drive, one of the very few countries that use a bounty hunter system. Sometimes I think America just likes being different from the rest of the world.

• 7 years ago

We call it football because that's what it's always been called here, just like a bathroom is called a water closet in some countries. Also, to think that all Americans are dumb is a radical over-generalization and, quite frankly, the type of attitude that got Hitler in trouble.

• Gail
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Because it's based on our game of Football. As is our own Rugby, or to give it it's proper name 'Rugby Football'. American Football is a derivative of our own game of 'Association Football'. Just as the Australians have 'Australian Rules Football'. What you have to remember is that they are all just different codes of the same game.

• Gazza
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

They also call the league "Major League Soccer" but teams such as Toronto FC, FC Dallas, Seattle Sounders FC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC are called football clubs.

• 4 years ago

Soccer is a perfectly authentic name for the game and, as others have remarked, has been used for over a hundred years. USA is actually being very traditional!

• Association football has been called soccer since the 1890s to distinguish it from Rugby football (known as rugger). Calling it just football in England only dates back to the 1950s. In America, they have a different game they call football and they still use the name we used to use to describe the no-hands game.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.