Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

What explains the liberals delusions about them being the "most caring"?

-conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household (while on avg making 6% less income)

-- Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

-- Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

-- Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

-- In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

******* People who reject the idea that "government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality" give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition. *****

Brooks demonstrates a correlation between charitable behavior and "the values that lie beneath" liberal and conservative labels. Two influences on charitable behavior are religion and attitudes about the proper role of government.

Arthur C. Brooks, a professor at Syracuse University

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/...

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Easy. The legislative record of Republicans sucks when it comes to helping the poor, the disabled, senior citizens, and minorities.

Republians blocked Hurrican Sandy relief, for God’s sake.

Republicans blocked health care for 9/11 FIRST RESPONDERS...

Republicans have introduced a budget so hard on the poor that the NUNS ON THE BUS protested it for its “immorality” (their words).

Republicans constantly demonize the poor.

Republicans want to get rid of the social safety net.

P.S. “Charitable Giving” is done for many reasons, not the least of which is that when done properly, it can REDUCE the overall tax burden for a business or individual. That’s why there tends to be a rush of charitable giving in December. And when you remove church giving (like the millions Romney stashes away at his church), it’s a wash.

P.P.S. I once met a man at a church, which I don’t go to often, and asked him why he went to church. He pointed to a placque on the wall that had his name on it. I said, “Wow! You must’ve donated a lot of money!” He said, “I go to church because it’s the best place to make business contacts, and I contribute because that one donation that got my name on the wall has been the best advertising I’ve ever purchased. I’ve gotten 10x that money back in contracts from within this congregation. And a customer who thinks you believe in God trusts you more. Never hurts!"

• Arnie
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Liberals know as much as a box of rocks..

The Liberal ideology is a theory , fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and which holds forth beliefs that have no basis in reality.

They are Advocates of a policy that empowers a strong federal government to enslave its people with a high tax burden incident to the support of extravagant and unnecessary social programs destructive to both the work ethic among the lower class, and the incentive to innovate and succeed among the working class.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."

Liberals like to spend other peoples money!!

The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

@

• 7 years ago

The liberal voter is convinced of two things:

1. Minorities need the help of the majority. This is an idea in which the inherent inequality of race, gender ect is implied, btw.

2. It is the intentions of the majority that matter, not the results of their policies.

That's the stew that has created the incredibly illogical idea that liberals "care more". What's more they take the conservative's attitude that the minority is best equipped tp help itself to mean we don't care about minorities. That's not true -- we simply don't assume they need our help.

• 7 years ago

That Syracuse study is several years old and has been thoroughly debunked as both biased and poor data collection. The biggest error is that this "charity" is includes mandatory tithing to religious organizations, including mega churches.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

RealClearPolitics is a website founded by conservatives, for conservatives.

Next time...try using a credible source.

And even if these statistics were true...the people doing these acts were doing out of their own will, not because of their political stance. Conservatism is an ideology and not something you can correlate with these acts. Not to mention that being charitable or generous, in and of itself, is a trait usually associated with the liberal/progressive ideology, so, just that fact alone, proves that giving is not necessarily a conservative thing. And conservatives are the majority of this country so, obviously, you're going to more conservatives statistically speaking. Bottom lime, these (faulty) statistics in no way represent the majority liberals or conservatives, and should not be used in political debate...

• 7 years ago

They believe that they are more caring because they believe that they are of superior intelligence, better educated, and better looking. Their deepest belief is that they are the übermensch. That gives them the moral authority to tell te lesser people what is best for everyone. They believe that they should be properly rewarded for their superiority. The taxpayers owe them the luxuries of life. That is only right that these caring progressives like Pelosi and Obama should receive their fair share, just like those greedy capitalists should be paying THEIR FAIR share.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Conservatives trot out statistics to 'prove' how caring they are, statistics which are contradicted by their actions, by their unwillingness to put country ahead of party. I call such people AINO's, Americans in name only.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Just one more stereotype that liberals think up to justify mistreating other people.

Look at the OWS. How 'caring' are they?

• 7 years ago

just so you all know, the article being cited here is an opinion piece (wholly uncited itself) from march of 2008.

perhaps in republican circles an opinion piece from five years ago is somehow topical but to me it seems just another in a long stream of desperate brayings from a party which is ceasing to be nationally relevant...

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Because it's easy to care for people when you use other people's money. It's another liberal myth like home-schooled kids aren't as smart when they always score higher on standardized tests.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.