questionable e-mail recieved?

I received an e-mail that told me my e-mail address will be deactivated shortly if I do not go to a verification address (Verify Your Information Here) and complete the verification within 4 days.

I am concerned this is not a valid e-mail and do not want to go to a site to verify information that you already have. Should I be concerned about this?

Favorite Answer

100% scam.

That is a scammer trying to hi-jack your email address to spam all your contacts and then use the account to spam hundreds/thousands of others.

Yahoo and all email companies, all banks and all companies in the entire world will NEVER ask for your password, pin or date of birth. No Exceptions Ever.

Ignore and delete that email and any others demanding such information.

If you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of needing your password, great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money, email address or identity to a scammer.

If you google "yahoo email phishing scam", "email hijacked viagara porn spammer" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts of victims and near victims of this type of scam.

In fact, if you check out the section here at Yahoo Answers entitled "Yahoo email, spam and bulk mail" you will find hundreds of questions from victims who have had their email address hi-jacked or spoofed by scammers sending out porn spam, send money scams and links to fake websites pretending to sell name brand merchandise.

• rowlfe

It depends.It probably is a "phishing" attempt to get your user information. Do NOT click on any link in this kind of email, ever. Who is the service provider? Look at the SOURCE for the email so you can examine the LINK in the ANCHOR tag used. It will look something like this:

<A href="http://www.microsoft.com">

Text that is displayed

</A>

The "text to be displayed" can be ANYTHING whatsoever! It could say "Dell Computer Support" and when you click on it, you will end up at Microsoft. (in my example). I used 3 lines in my example, but in the page source it would likely be a single long line.

So, you can determine where a link will take you without clicking on it by simply LOOKING at it. In the email, where does the link Go? What follows the HREF=in the tag? In my browser, Firefox, when I hover the cursor over a link, I see the URL the link points to in a status line so I need not examine the page source code. Somewhere in your browser, you have the ability to see the source code for the page you are viewing. It may appear complicated, but all you are looking for is the anchor tag with the text you SEE in the clickable link and then you look to the left for the HREF= portion. While you are looking at the source, you have the ability to search for a string of text, so use it. Practice on anything else you might have handy so you can see what things should look like when you examine the source code for a properly configured page with clickable links.

So, if you examine the source and the link does not go where it SAYS it should go, you have proved it to be a scam that we all suspect it to be...

It's a scam to get your information. Legit places don't send emails like that.

. This is a known phishing scam attempting to get you to give them all your personal info. It's not from Yahoo, just delete it and ignore it. Good luck and be careful

ITS A SCAM!!