Ashley asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 years ago

what would've happened if australia didnt participate in ww1?

would Germany have won? any websites would be a greatly appreciated if you could share any good links or points on why it was beneficial for Australia to have participated in WW1.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Australia's early involvement in the Great War included the Australian Naval and Military Expeditionary Force landing at Rabaul on 11 September 1914 and taking possession of German New Guinea at Toma on 17 September 1914 and the neighbouring islands of the Bismarck Archipelago in October 1914. On 14 November 1914 the Royal Australian Navy made a significant contribution when HMAS Sydney destroyed the German raider SMS Emden.

- - - -

Australian involvement in World War I

Although the theatres of war were very distant from Australia, its membership of the British Empire ensured that there was strong (although not universal) public support for involvement in the war. In 1914, Australia's Prime Minister, Andrew Fisher, immediately promised Australian support for Britain 'to the last man and the last shilling'.

The Australian population in 1914 was less than five million. A summary of the numbers of those who served and of the numbers of deaths and other casualties makes it clear that Australia made a major sacrifice for the Allied war effort. Numbers involved:

Enlisted and served overseas: 324,000

Dead: 61,720

Wounded: 155,000 (all services)

Prisoners of war: 4,044 (397 died while captive)

(Source: Australian War Memorial at http://www.awm.gov.au/)

-=-=-=-=-

I hope this is helpful.

• 8 years ago

The only thing I can think of that might have been altered with Germany would be some of the encounters of the Wolf raider as a lot of the intelligence and routes used by her were centered around the Aussies. I'm not sure what a manpower drain the Gallippilli campaign would have caused to the Western front or British home island drafts if ANZAC troops were not available either. The main changes would be on Australian individuality, and what stage for independence she would be in after WW2 (2 mind you).

• the outcome would be pritty much the same sence Australia wasnt a major player.i think it was more of a political move on australias part(HEY LETS JOIN A BANDWAGION!!!!). there was so many treadys during that time that it may have been that they where sorta forced into WWI

hope it help you :)

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

no....... australia mattered as close to zero as any other country who participated in the war..... had they not existed at all, the outcome of the war would have been nearly identical

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.