Where is a good place to buy 10 AWG gauge wires?


I am looking to buy cables for solar panel connections.

8 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    in a store that sells them.

  • Maria
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    Well, the best answer has already been chosen, but it's never too late! I have been working with electrical and electronic things since my childhood in the 1960s, and car wiring since the early 1970s. I have developed the proper system since the mid 1970s when heat shrink tubing appeared. Twist the wires together, solder, cut off excess joint, heat shrink tubing. I do it inside the car for audip stuff, etc, and I do it outside the car for trailer lighting, and misc repairs. Never: 1. Twist wires and tape them. 2. Use wire nuts. 3. Use barrel connectors (crimp), especially outside the car. 4. There are some strange crimp connectors that slice into the wire and crimp on. I can't remember what they're called, but they are crap! Especially outside!! I often see them on trailer wiring. Some kind of retarded splicing/crimp connector. 5. Leave wires hanging loosely under the car, or under the instrument panel.

  • 7 years ago

    If you will be putting the wire in conduit, just go to Home Depot or Lowe's or a hardware store and get THWN-2 cable. The -2 is important, because it gives a higher temperature rating, which you'll need if the conduit is on the roof and/or being exposed to sun. The "W" is important because conduit is considered a wet location, water could collect in it. You'll need to look at the National Electrical Code (NEC) at your local library to learn about derating factors. For example, if all you can find is THWN (no -2) insulation, you may have to go with #8 AWG.

    Option 2 is to go with USE-2, ultraviolet-resistant wire. In that case, you can go with #10 if it will handle the amps, and have it just exposed to the elements. I believe such an installation is code compliant, but it all comes down to the local inspector. If their experience is that all the pro's use conduit, you may have to have the NEC with you to defend your choice.

    If this is for off-grid (no inspection) or just something temporary and fun, just use any wire from Home Depot. In my area, there is an electronic flea market that is cheaper, but that's unusual.

  • 7 years ago

    Any big box home improvement store should have what you are looking for. It will typically be sold by the foot on those large spools in the electrical section.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

    What type of wire and what will be it's use?

    Example: Copper, steel, aluminum, etc used for crafts.

    Where are you located in general - no exact addresses or personal information?

    Example: Country, State/Province/etc

  • y
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    Go to an electrical supply house and tell them what you need. They may give you some looks and grief but they will square you away.

  • Kris
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    Go to an electrical supply store or hardware store.

  • John
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

    your neighborhood electrical supply store, home depo, lowes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.