Ways to cook oatmeal?

What different ways to cook oatmeal

Favorite Answer

Oatmeal is high in fiber and, when made properly, a delicious breakfast choice. It begins as the hulled grains from oat plants, and can be processed and cooked in a variety of ways. It's best to follow the instructions on the oatmeal package, but these steps will often do the trick as well and you should add a little bit of sugar if you want.

1.Measure out two parts liquid, one part oats. For the liquid, you can use water or milk or a mixture of both.

2.Combine in a pot over medium/low heat.

3.Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently (nonstop if you added any milk). The rolled oats will soften and the liquid will thicken.

4.Taste the oats every five minutes for the desired oat texture and overall thickness. It usually takes about 15 minutes to prepare these kinds of oats. Some people like their oats firm, some like them mushy.

5. Serve hot, with cinnamon, brown sugar or maple syrup (optional).

Oatmeal can be used in many different recipes other than actual oatmeal for breakfast. I have seen recipes that require quick oats for many things including pancakes, breads, cookies, muffins, fruit crisps, meatloaf, and meatballs.

The microwave, stove top, and oven can be used to prepare oatmeal. Baked oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts and the instant kind isn't bad either.

There are ingredients you can add to oatmeal in the mornings for more flavor, otherwise it's a rather bland start to the day. Consider adding things such as chocolate chips, brown sugar, cinnamon, peanut butter, melted butter, mixed nuts, fresh fruit, shredded coconut, almond or coconut milk, canned pumpkin, and pie filing.

• natzsm

I am not really a fan of plain boiled oatmeal because I really do not like the mushy texture.

To get it in my diet, I bake muffins with it and make good old fashioned oatmeal cookies with endless variations by adding in chocolate chips or dried fruit or make granola bars.

I have also recently learned to simply soak the oatmeal in milk overnight in the refrigerator. It gets soft but still has texture. Throw in some fruit and sweeten with honey. You could actually make a big batch and just soak for up to a couple of days.

I like to put 12-oz of water, 2 Tbsp. margarine, an overflowing handful of raisins and enough salt to cover the palm in about a ½-square-inch area into in a pan; bring to a full rolling boil; turn off the burner; while stirring pour in enough 1-minute oatmeal to thicken and let sit for 1½ minutes. Add almond milk, mix, and enjoy.

Either you can follow instructions on box OR go on this link and find out.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Oatmeal

Copy paste it.

It has four ways of cooking it,

Rolled oats,

Instant Oatmeal,

Steel-Cut Oats

and

Dry Oatmeal

Hope I helped! :-)

Source(s): wikihow.com

Ways to Cook Oatmeal.Microwave, Stove top,Oven, Slow Cooker. http://www.kitchenparade.com/2009/01/oatmeal-how-w...

===========================================

MICROWAVE CREAMY OATMEAL with PEANUT BUTTER

Oatmeal cooked in the microwave,

1/4 cup old-fashioned oats

1/2 cup water or skim milk

1/8 teaspoon table salt (don't skip the salt!)

1 tablespoon peanut butter

In a microwave-safe bowl, stir together the oats, water and salt. (Don’t worry, precise measuring isn’t required once you’ve made this a time or two. Just eyeball the ingredients.) Cook on high for 1 minute, then give it a good stir. Cook on high for 30 seconds, then stir again. Cook for 15 seconds, then stir. Repeat in 15-second increments until oatmeal is full cooked and water fully absorbed. Stir in the peanut butter and serve.

**********************************************

STOVETOP OATMEAL with WHIPPED BANANA

Oatmeal cooked in a saucepan

1 cup old-fashioned oats

1 cup skim milk

1 cup water

1/2 teaspoon table salt (don't skip the salt!)

1 banana, sliced thin

In a saucepan, stir together the oats, milk, water, salt, begin cooking on medium heat. Add the banana and continue to cook, stirring often, until oatmeal is fully cooked and banana has been absorbed into the oatmeal, about 7 - 10 minutes. (Do pay attention between stirs, the banana’s sweetness encourages burning.) Serve immediately. Can be made ahead and reheated in the microwave for about 30 seconds.

***********************************************

OVEN-BAKED OATMEAL & APPLES

Oatmeal cooked in the oven

1 cup old-fashioned oats

1 apple, skin on, chopped small

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Pinch of cloves, nutmeg and cardamom

2 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey or agave)

1 cup skim milk

2/3 cup apple cider

Preheat oven to 350F. Stir together all ingredients. Divide among four two-cup ramekins. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes. Serve immediately. Can be made ahead and reheated in the microwave for 1 minute.

********************************************************

SLOW COOKER STEEL-CUT OATS

Steel-cut oats cooked overnight in the crockpot

2 cups steel-cut oats (do not substitute any other form)

6 – 8 cups water (use 6 cups for cooking fewer than 8 hours, 8 cups for more than 8 hours)

2 teaspoons table salt

3 teaspoons cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. If it's a little thin, switch to high to thicken. Can be made ahead and reheated in the microwave for 1 minute.

Source(s): LB

We buy the instant. 12 packages to the box. 1/2 cup hot water to one package. Let it sit for a minute before eating. Quick and easy. Lots of different flavors too.

Read the directions.

you don't need to cook oatmeal as in breakfast porridge and flapjacks. you can soak oatmeal with sultanas or other dried fruit in milk or yogurt overnight and serve with nuts next day for a dessert or breakfast.

• chorle

in cookies or meatloaf

or are you wanting to try cooking it in different ways like this youtube search

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to...

I don't know if I would do it this way but the Doing it Wrong video that inclues grinding and soaking your oats is the most interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT8IaxL6jtg

Youtube thumbnail

I create a rapid boil../

I add my whole oats..(stir) cover and simmer--with the stovetop--turned-OFF../

===

I will--add diced garlic--to the rapidly boiling water../

..and then some previously--boiled..lentils../

===

I have also tried--1-can of whole berry...cranberries.