Elmbeard asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 7 years ago

Now "marriage" has lost its meaning, should we find another word to express the Sacrament?

The word "marriage" as it is expressed in books of religious scripture such as the Bible has now lost its meaning in common society, which now defines it as "a temporary expression of love and commitment between two people of indeterminate gender". Religious folk who speak of 'marriage' to others convey a completely different thing to the listeners, especially if they are young. Children, by law, must be taught society's definition of the word.

How should this word now be translated in order to convey its proper sense?

Or should we simply remove this Sacrament, since there are no longer words in our language to express it?

Half Past - if marriage has not lost its meaning, would you kindly define it for us?

Guy - well said!

I am not an atheist, but a Christian convert to the Catholic Church, specifically over the issue of marriage, and the Catholic Church's stand on it. If I were to get married in church, as one of the seven Sacraments, I would find it hard in clear conscience to sign the register, because I do not recognise or honour civil marriage. Yet I would still want the tax breaks from the document. The answer? To get married in church, but to register the arrangement as a civil partnership. But I cannot, because, in the name of Equality, the Government sees fit to discriminate against me on the grounds of sexual orientation.

• Guy
    Favorite Answer

I find it all rather strange. As an atheist I never believed in marriage & have had a 17year relationship with my partner. My partner and I would like to cement our relationship but there is no way of doing it. So after this new bill has gone through my partner & I still have no rights.

I find it strange that someone finally realised just the other night that there is a demand for civil partnerships for heterosexual couples. It was a bit late but never the less. Some of my friends & myself have been trying to get people interested in this for the last two years.

My point really is this change to "marriage" was never thought through & debated. If anything it has added yet more discrimination.

If we are to change marriage then there is a whole host of groups with different takes on marriage that have not been recognised.

If we base marriage on two people loving each other & it is none of any ones business then surly two sisters or two brothers should be able to get married. There would be no biological children so no issues there.

Then what about having more than one wife or husband. Again if we base marriage on people loving each other then surly this should be permissible. Rightly or wrongly there are lots of groups within the UK that believe in this type of relationship.

I do not see how you can change marriage for one group and ignore the rest.

In my personal opinion marriage should of been left where it was in the sense it was originally conceived. Other groups, including my family, should of been given the right to cement our relationship via different paths other than marriage.

• Tapanga
      6 years agoReport

I agree.

• Robin

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aD7Jp

How long do you think it would be before the world would hijack your new word and change the meaning of that one too? "Or should we simply remove this Sacrament, since there are no longer words in our language to express it?" Reminds me of George Orwell's 1984: “Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thought-crime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it. Every concept that can ever be needed will be expressed by eactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings rubbed out and forgotten. ... The process will still be continuing long after you and I are dead. Every year fewer and fewer words, and the range of consciousness always a little smaller. ... Has it ever occcured to you, Winston, that by the year 2050, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could understand such a conversation as we are having now?” Already a 'moral' person is now a 'homophobic' person. Just as Orwell said, narrowing the range of thought, removing the concepts that society doesn't want to be able to be considered, such as whether an action may be morally wrong despite being common and legally allowed - now it is even considering that question which is 'thoughtcrime', but by changing the words society seeks to make thoughtcrime impossible.

• gussie

Just because people don't stay married for life does not mean the definition has changed.I think in the past couples remained together because they were in love some only stayed together because it was expected. Domestic violence was accepted if it was kept behind closed doors.It never was a healthy environment for the spouse or their children.I suppose if the abuser kills or physically scars or kills their partner as long as they stay married. What message does this send to their children.What about arranged marriages or marriages of convenience.What happens when your spouse commits adultery is that showing love and lifetime commitment. his/her spouse.A wedding ring and a marriage ceremony do not guarantee anything.The definition of marriage varies by culture and different eras in time. A marriage is a union of two people who love each other .Please define proper. EDIT For those quoting the Bible Mary was Joseph's espoused wife , which is along the lines of being engaged but not married. So does that mean common law arrangements are okay ? Just wondering.

Source(s): By whose standard do we define what is proper ?

Umm whoever said religion is outdated is so wrong. Religion will never be outdated because it has to be a part of our lives as it is now and forever. And I totally agree marriage isn't the same as it was 50 years ago. Kim Kardashian marries every single freaking guy she dates. People are marrying each other just to marry and then divorcing when they get bored. There needs to be a word for two people who actually love each other who's love can withstand anything so they'll stay together forever.

Sometimes, letting go seems like the easiest thing to do. But think about this: you've invested so much of your time and energy into another person; you've made a solemn promise; and you still know there's love, even if it's hiding underneath the surface. This website will show you how to save a marriage and avoid divorce, even if you're the only one trying https://tr.im/MkzKq

marriage lost meaning find word express sacrament

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

The word "marriage" as it is expressed in books of religious scripture such as the Bible has now lost its meaning in common society, which now defines it as "a temporary expression of love and commitment between two people of indeterminate gender". Religious folk who speak of...

Source(s): quot marriage quot lost meaning find word express sacrament: https://biturl.im/zbJVQ

There has never been a better time to put and end to the heartache of an unfulfilling relationship. You can rebuild the happiness and close connection, thanks to the life-changing techniques at https://tr.im/RqjNZ

Marriage, like life, is a cycle of ups and downs. It's easy to say your marriage is in good health when the world around you is prospering, but when your fortunes turn and your world is in hardship, how you interact within your marriage can often paint an altogether different picture.

• Marcia

The first thing you must know is if you want to save your marriage and if you find yourself alone in this desire, waiting for the other spouse to make the first move is the beginning of the end. Learn here https://tinyurl.im/aHLDs If you are looking for someone to blame or someone else to put the emotional and physical work into saving the marriage, again, it's going to fail.

I don't know how to express how I feel about my marriage other than to just say, "Wow!". Sometimes you need some "marriage therapies" to reverse and move your marriage in the RIGHT direction. Learn more!