Now "marriage" has lost its meaning, should we find another word to express the Sacrament?

The word "marriage" as it is expressed in books of religious scripture such as the Bible has now lost its meaning in common society, which now defines it as "a temporary expression of love and commitment between two people of indeterminate gender". Religious folk who speak of 'marriage' to others convey a completely different thing to the listeners, especially if they are young. Children, by law, must be taught society's definition of the word.

How should this word now be translated in order to convey its proper sense?

Or should we simply remove this Sacrament, since there are no longer words in our language to express it?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Johnny
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Since the beginning of the rights to divorce (yeah, rights, a horrible word for believers) it has been a temporary OR permanent expression of love and commitment. Unless you have been in coma since the middle ages that wouldn't be new to you. If you and other people mean different things with the same word is nothing new either. Take the word God..... When I ask a question about God I get lots of DIFFERENT answers even from followers of the same religion.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

God meant for a man and a woman to come together, and to help each other,

the man being the head of the woman, and the woman the body and thus

they would become 'one'.

In the past, this was mocked, a put down, but in the last 40 years,

enough biology has been learned that we now know both body parts

do essential things, just different. 'Thinking' is done on all levels.

I think of the word 'union' or to be 'unified in Christ'. And it would be

great to have it separated from other ways of thinking about this.

• 7 years ago

Religion does not own the word or define it for the rest of society and then get to say we go against the "true" definition (yours, in your opinion) of marriage. But yes, I think it should go away. And yes, I've been happily married for 21 years.

• 7 years ago

marriage is not really a religious institution its a legal contract the word has never lost its meaning

i ve been married 36 years. And i dont need the church to re translate for me. Look at the reason its loosing its meaning lots of christians getting divoreced so i think you need to look closer to home

Source(s): atheist
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

"the sacrament of marriage"

"heterosexual marriage"

"church marriage"

"matrimony"

If that does not work, try French. They are bound to have neat way of putting it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Bye the way, the point of my answer is that your premise is ridiculous. You do not have to play victim and nobody has stopped you from talking about whatever you want to talk about.

Words shift their meaning all the time. People have been going in print to protest about it for centuries, but it cannot be stopped.

• 7 years ago

Marriage lost its meaning years ago.

• Martin
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

"marriage" has NOT lost its meaning. The LEGAL world simply does not use the same definition that the DELUDED world does.

Edit: @2FollowHim: See.

• Me
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

The institution itself is kinda pointless in this century; i'm sure we can love each other and raise children without being legally bound to one another.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

You can refer to is as I do - "The tragic and avoidable death of romance, spontaneity and freedom".

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

love is sacred, not marriage. marriage, was a way to keep love sacred. we could call it love vows, but really we must first make people know what a love vow really is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.