Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 7 years ago

What to do after the Marine Corps?

I am going to be a junior in high school next year and I'm going to join the USMC after I graduate. I am female and I am looking into military police. I want to get a degree in criminal justice after my device (or anything that will help me pursue A career in law enforcement (FBI, police, etc)

Would being an MP help me in getting a civilian job in that area?

After the corps do I just go willy nilly into college or do I have to take some qualification test?

How much will the military help me in paying for my education.

All help is appreciated!

• J.W.
    Favorite Answer

Joining the military might be a good thing for you to do. Consider all the branches. You could try to become an MP in the Army or Marines, an MA in the Navy, or a Security Forces Specialist in the Air Force. I would consider trying to join the Coast Guard. You could try to become a Maritime Enforcement Specialist and later try to become a boarding team member. Speak with recruiters from all the branches. Being a veteran, regardless of what branch you were in and what job you did, can help you get law enforcement officer jobs. Veterans get extra points on civil service tests and preference for federal jobs. Some law enforcement agencies that require applicants to have college will waive some or all of their college requirements for veterans. Also, for different reasons, some people simply like to hire qualified veterans whenever they get the chance to. If is great that you plan on getting a college degree. Getting a college degree is one of the best things that you can do. Many agencies require or prefer applicants to have college. Having a degree could help you get hired by some agencies. Some agencies pay their officers more if they have a degree. Having a degree could also help you get promoted during your career. Getting law enforcement officer jobs is becoming more and more competitive. However, all else being equal, a candidate that is a veteran with a college degree has a very good chance of getting hired. Best of luck!

These are questions best suited for your recruiter.

MP will of course help towards your career. Try and take college courses while in the military. USMC does provide options like that. Also, after you are done with your 4 years and you want to do college, you can apply for the GI bill in which you get paid by the military to go to school.

• Rayn

Yes, MP would be an excellent resume item, without a doubt... you might not even need the degree with the military training.

The corps ain't paying for no ones tuition no more. Look it up. Screw the military go to school. Apply for financial aid at fafsa.gov you'll get free money if you qualify. All the military does is bully 3rd world countries.free for mind. Don't be a sheep!

Something useful.