Is Oklahoma Part of the South or Midwest?

I hear the news reporters refer to it as the Midwest, but the people talk like southerners. I did a little research and most sources place it in the south. Is this just another case of coastal geographic ignorance?

Favorite Answer

This is a common question and I do believe it has to do with media ignorance. The best way to gauge whether a state is southern is geography, history, political affiliation, religious identity and CULTURE. Oklahoma undoubtedly identifies more with the south than any other region. The culture in Oklahoma is more southern than it is anything else. This is especially true for areas outside the OKC metro area.

I'm not quite sure why people on both coasts make the mistake by lumping Oklahoma in with the Midwest. Some people like to think that Kansas and Oklahoma are similar, but in actuality Oklahoma influences Kansas more than Kansas has any influence on the Sooner State. Arkansas would be a better comparison. During the Civil War, Oklahoma territory was aligned with the Confederacy and Kansas was a Union State. Southeastern Oklahoma is as similar to Kansas as California is to Indiana.

The US Census Bureau puts Oklahoma in the west south central with Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana. This is the most accurate region considering all factors.

• abrar

Is Oklahoma In The Midwest

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): oklahoma part south midwest: https://shortly.im/4ShYg

Is Oklahoma In The South

Never try to pin down a perceptual region with state boundaries, because perceptual regions like "the Midwest" have ill-defined and blurry boundaries. Oklahoma is in an area of overlapping perceptual regions with some characteristics of "the South", so some people who live there say they live in the South, and it has some characteristics of "the Midwest",so other people who live there say they live in the Midwest. And that's okay.

I think its one of those weird states that can go either Midwest or southern. like northern Oklahoma is the Midwest and southern Oklahoma is the south.

I have always refereed to Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, the Dakotas, Iowa and Minnesota as the plains states.