What things should I be looking for in a Computer?

Graduating for high school this year, going to college and I need a new computer. It would need to be a laptop but I'm torn between building (or having someone build it for me) and buying it straight from dell,hp,sony... I think I'd like an i5 ivy bridge with about 6gb of ram (I plan on eventually upgrading) that runs on some form of SSD. I need it for school work, I need it to be fast (I can't stand slow, unresponsive computers) and I'd like to play Minecraft at a semi-high standard keeping a good frame rate (again something that won't be slow and unresponsive). Other games I'd play would be smaller things off of steam and such. I'd like to keep the price below 1000$.

Suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated!

Favorite Answer

You cant build your own laptop. Parts too rare, assembly too dificult.

Suggestions:

below 1000$ no SSD

Asus-Lenovo-Sony <- make good laptops

Avoid:

Acer - HP

Had no run-ins with Dell so far. Avoid macs too overpriced.

Things to look for first:

Good Screen, meaning it doesnt fade or lose collors when looked at an angle. Has Black Blacks(not whitish grey) Has bright whites. Also if you can: avoid 1366x768 most crappy screens come in this format.

If you tend to play minecraft and games UP to league of legends, Stay with HD 4000.

if you want to play CoD, BF3, Skyrim, Crysis or something in that caliber get a Discrete GPU, Nvidia is prefered in laptops.

You probably should build your own pc, I can help with parts if you email me at klimabrandon@gmail.com but If you want a decent new laptop YOU SHOULD order a pc from these brands(my recommendations from expierience): hp, asus, acer, alienware, or origin.

Source(s): Myself

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz-3.6GHz Turbo Boost $199.99

GPU: GeForce GTX 650 Ti $150-$170

RAM: 8gb G-skill $60

PSU: Antec 600psu $180

CASE: Antec or cooler master

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H $205

SSD: Idk

These are some good parts that fit your budget. Hope this helps. :)

Source(s): research

500-100gb hard drive

8 ish gigs of ram

3.0 i7 processor (anything less might as well get a windows YIKES!)

at least